Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Damn, I step away for a few minutes and all hell breaks loose in here .
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by slideways View Post
    We had talked before awhile back about a set of floor speakers and you sent me a few CL ads. I don't rember what they were however, I actually have some disposable money now to pick up some new speakers. Setup right now is a Harmon-Kardon 5.1 500watt reciever with 2 mtx thunder pro 2's. I want to move the MTX's are going to get moved out into the garage and would like to find something with a little more power and low end for in the house. What do you reccomend? And do you think the mtx's would be a good speaker for a garage application with very little to absorb any sound from them?
    The MTXs will work great in your garage. If youre worried about it being too much for the neighbors, grab some eggcrate foam from The Foam Factory, theyre local over on M59 and Groesbeck, and they also have a website. Ive always been a fan of PSB, Klipsch Reference, Paradigm, and B&W speakers. There are a few shops on Woodward where you can check em out and find the sound you like. Audio Dimensions at the corner of Normandy and Woodward has a pretty good selection, real standup guys and awesome to deal with.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Next we have the famous (well, not really) sound bars. Theyre nothing really more than upgraded TV speakers. The only difference being is the have a larger enclosure, thus giving a better sound. If youre going to sink your money into something better down the line, skip the sound bar and hang on to your money. If you need something now, a better choice would be a couple of larger bookshelf speakers along with your amp/receiver of choice. With 2 speakers, you will have whats called a phantom center channel...which is what the stereo effect really is .
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    What old-school speakers would you recommend for garage use that can be found cheap at garage sales/craigslist? Something warm, not too critical, good amount of low-end, basically speakers that anything sounds good on. I've heard a lot of people speak about old Cerwin Vegas and Jensens for this purpose. Any brands/models you'd recommend? Preferably something with a 8-10" woofer as a 12-15" might be too big for the space I have to put them.
    Large Advents are what you want . 10" high excursion woofer, sealed cabs, and a 3" fried egg tweeter. CVs are nice, but far too many people want way too much for them. Not that theyre not any good, but you dont get very much for the current asking prices. The Large Advents are where the funs at. The do have a very smooth sound, and plenty of bass. The drawback is that youre going to need some beefy power to drive them, as theyre rather inefficient. Any vintage receiver over 50WPC should be plenty good. If you see a pair with "blown woofers", pick them up, cuz they should be very cheap. Most people think the woofer is blown, when its actually the foam surrounds are dry rotted. New surrounds cost ~$15 and about an hour of your time to repair.

Heres the New Large Advent

and the Original Large Advent

I wish you wouldve posted this a couple weeks ago, just got rid of some .
    '16 Fiesta ST

Heres some good info for you guys. Speaker efficiency relative to amplifier wattage. Speakers are expressed in terms of sound pressure level (SPL) at 1W of input power, with a listening distance of 1m away. Being that sound is logarithmic, for every 3dB increase in sound, you need double the power output from your amplifier. Heres an example below:

My Electro Voices are rated at 101dB 1W/m, and the Advents mentioned above are 85dB 1W/m.

Advent:
    1W - 85dB
    2W - 88dB
    4W - 91dB
    8W - 94dB
    16W - 97dB
    32W - 100dB
    64W - 103dB
    128W - 106dB
    256W - 109dB

Electro Voice 12TRXB:
    1W - 101dB
    2W - 104dB
    4W - 107dB
    8W - 110dB

As you can see, it takes the Advents 32 times as much power to attain the nearly same sound pressure levels as the Electro Voices. Every +5dB increase in volume is perceived as twice as loud. This is the reason I like to run low wattage amps...3W is probably more than I'll ever need with these.
    Last edited by Tin; 11-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Not so worried about the neighbors in the garage, woods on one side, field on the other lol. Any particular modal I should look for in the house, Browsing CL and there seems to be a bunch of everything on there.
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I wish you wouldve posted this a couple weeks ago, just got rid of some .
    Well shit...

I've heard about the Advents before too. If you happen to run across a pair again for a decent price please let me know! I have the power for them and I don't need 'em to get stupid loud.

I'll keep my eyes out, Im always looking around on CL. Ill keep you guys posted of any other deals I see pop up.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Heres another good deal, Magneplanar MG-1s. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2713473198.html They use a membrane to radiate sound instead of cones like standard speakers. They sound more like electrostatic speakers. The membranes do separate over time, but Magnepan sells the kit with everything to get them back up to snuff. Depending on what your sound preferences are, you may need a subwoofer. I heard the top end pair of Magneplanars at Audio Dimensions a couple years ago, and they were $20,000 per pair. heres the updated verion of the MG-1, the MG-1.7. $2000 per pair http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16 You will need a very beefy amp to drive them properly. If you have less than 150W to play with, either get another amp or a different speaker.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Looks like I found a thread I'll be keeping my eye on for a good while.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Thread Information