Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by 99Electriccobra View Post
    I miss my NAD stuff
    It's one of my favorite brands. No coloration to the sound whatsoever, very minimal looking, very well built, and will drive a 2 ohm load without blowing the circuit breaker I know many here love the vintage Marantz/Kenwood/Pioneer stuff, but if you give them a difficult load to drive, you will spend quite awhile finding new transistors to replace the burned ones.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    How much do you want to spend? The 201's aren't very efficient, about 86dB 1W/m, so they will need some juice. I would look at something 50WPC or more. You can probably find a second hand NAD to run them off of for a good price.

ok forget them, I also have a pair of EV s40 thats could be used, I auctually perfer their sound over the bose, wife likes the way the Bose look though

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    ok forget them, I also have a pair of EV s40 thats could be used, I auctually perfer their sound over the bose, wife likes the way the Bose look though
    Those will need juice too, they're actually a little less efficient than the 201s, 4 ohm nominal too so they will probably dip to 2 or 3 ohms in the lower bass and midrange. Impedance is always highest at Fs (cone resonance frequency) and the upper mids and highs. If you can find a pro amp, like a Crown or QSC and run it from the preouts of a receiver, you would be doing good with either speaker.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Do you by chance have car audio input,I'm putting a "system" in a dodge magnum.I have never done a suv type or open cabin,only trunks.I will be using a ported enclosure with 2 10" subs that I will build.I want to understand more about things like cabin gain,quarter wave and so on.I need to find my resonant frequency of the magnum there is my first goal, but have no tools to get this info.Usually I start with a tuned hz enclosure then try a box above and below starting frequency and go from there,THE HARD WAY but I like building enclosures and have a few on hand, but these will not help in this case.From my experience trunk sub to port placement is key,they are usually facing the back of car sub and port on same baffle with port on passenger side giving driver seat best sound.From checking car audio web sites they don't work best facing back because the waves don't mesh. and cause cancellation.So hopefully you have an idea of what I'm trying to get help with. I know there's no real answers or explanation specific to this but there are a million formulas and theories to answer theoreatic questions and I'm open to hear any thoughts you may have.I have waited years to use my equipment for a build.
    Soundstream USA 10" subwoofers x2
    Soundstream USA 180 amplifiers x2
    If needed I will use AudioControl eqx to get stupid adjustment for sq
    Hi/mid amp will be a Alphasonik pma-4050 sp (can not find specs for this amp) have never seen another pma 4050 SP.
    The 2 USA subs will be my main subs but will be swapped out on occasion for other sound treats.I will also build 2 other enclosures for my other babies,A single soundsstream exact 10" more likely in a sealed for sq and a tantric md 12" in a bp for spl these will be powered by old planet audio amps.
    Do you have a db meter or means to measure db and hz by laptop for in car response.Using online programs help but in car response is usually different so trusting and building to what they say is a shot in the dark.I'm rambling on so if you wanna shoot the shit about it I'm listening.

Quote Originally Posted by lone racer View Post
    Do you by chance have car audio input,I'm putting a "system" in a dodge magnum.I have never done a suv type or open cabin,only trunks.I will be using a ported enclosure with 2 10" subs that I will build.I want to understand more about things like cabin gain,quarter wave and so on.I need to find my resonant frequency of the magnum there is my first goal, but have no tools to get this info.Usually I start with a tuned hz enclosure then try a box above and below starting frequency and go from there,THE HARD WAY but I like building enclosures and have a few on hand, but these will not help in this case.From my experience trunk sub to port placement is key,they are usually facing the back of car sub and port on same baffle with port on passenger side giving driver seat best sound.From checking car audio web sites they don't work best facing back because the waves don't mesh. and cause cancellation.So hopefully you have an idea of what I'm trying to get help with. I know there's no real answers or explanation specific to this but there are a million formulas and theories to answer theoreatic questions and I'm open to hear any thoughts you may have.I have waited years to use my equipment for a build.
    Soundstream USA 10" subwoofers x2
    Soundstream USA 180 amplifiers x2
    If needed I will use AudioControl eqx to get stupid adjustment for sq
    Hi/mid amp will be a Alphasonik pma-4050 sp (can not find specs for this amp) have never seen another pma 4050 SP.
    The 2 USA subs will be my main subs but will be swapped out on occasion for other sound treats.I will also build 2 other enclosures for my other babies,A single soundsstream exact 10" more likely in a sealed for sq and a tantric md 12" in a bp for spl these will be powered by old planet audio amps.
    Do you have a db meter or means to measure db and hz by laptop for in car response.Using online programs help but in car response is usually different so trusting and building to what they say is a shot in the dark.I'm rambling on so if you wanna shoot the shit about it I'm listening.
    I'm not much of a car audio guy, although the science behind both is the same. For your build, you may want to look into WinISD, it's a free piece of software for modeling speaker enclosures. You'll need to know the Thiele/Small parameters of your drivers, but once you have those you can calculate the proper enclosure for best bass response. The manufacturers of your drivers should have their parameters available.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    Nope, same one. Those are from the early/mid-70s. I've never heard those, but they should be pretty good. I can't think of anything that wasjunk that EV ever manufactured. They pioneered many technologies in the industry.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Nope, same one. Those are from the early/mid-70s. I've never heard those, but they should be pretty good. I can't think of anything that wasjunk that EV ever manufactured. They pioneered many technologies in the industry.
    I was waiting for you to say that post 19XX dont touch it lol.

I'm not much of a car audio guy, although the science behind both is the same. For your build, you may want to look into WinISD, it's a free piece of software for modeling speaker enclosures. You'll need to know the Thiele/Small parameters of your drivers, but once you have those you can calculate the proper enclosure for best bass response. The manufacturers of your drivers should have their parameters available.
    Well I don't think you actually read my post, but I understand from your response,thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by lone racer View Post
    Well I don't think you actually read my post, but I understand from your response,thanks anyway
    I did read your post, but was trying to figure out where you were going with it. I couldn't tell you much about cabin gain because the shape of a car interior is far different from a room in a home. In order to find the resonance of your Magnum, you could run pink noise through the radio at various frequencies and watch which ones make the body panels vibrate most. Keep in mind that it would be a ballpark figure, because to know the exact resonant frequency would require knowledge of the alloy of the body panels and the effect the paint and underlying structure may have with it. There are lots of noise generator apps for Android and iOS you could use to run some tests. It would also give you a good idea as to the lower limit of the system in conjunction with a spectrum analyzer app. I don't have a SPL meter, but they are cheap. BAFX makes one that runs about $20 on Amazon. Now that I mentioned it, I should pick one up for myself.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information