Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

That JL shouldn't be getting hot at a 4 ohm load. Give more details on the speakers you're running and if they have an active crossover inline.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelinBubba View Post
    That JL shouldn't be getting hot at a 4 ohm load. Give more details on the speakers you're running and if they have an active crossover inline.
    It gets really hot. Doesn't shut down, but it will burn your hand. The amp is on the floor in the backseat.

These are the speakers
    http://www.amazon.com/CL-61-Audio-Co.../dp/B00FX9SO74

How hot should this amp be getting? You said a/b runs hot. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it is HOT.

Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    It gets really hot. Doesn't shut down, but it will burn your hand. The amp is on the floor in the backseat.

These are the speakers
    http://www.amazon.com/CL-61-Audio-Co.../dp/B00FX9SO74

How hot should this amp be getting? You said a/b runs hot. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it is HOT.
    I noticed the ad on Amazon says 2 ohm optional, are you running them at 2 or 4 ohms? Is your amp stable for low impedance loads like that? 2 ohms will make the amp put out around twice the power it does at 4 ohms, and add more heat. Are you getting any clipping? If you had any clippping, you'd know right away...it sounds about as good as nails on a chalkboard.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I noticed the ad on Amazon says 2 ohm optional, are you running them at 2 or 4 ohms? Is your amp stable for low impedance loads like that? 2 ohms will make the amp put out around twice the power it does at 4 ohms, and add more heat. Are you getting any clipping? If you had any clippping, you'd know right away...it sounds about as good as nails on a chalkboard.
    I did not take any steps to run them 2ohm. Just ran the speakers to the crossover and crossover to the amp.

I thought that by default they are 4ohm

How does it sound? Anything strange? I did some looking around on your amp and many complain about the heat output and mention the heatsink is undersized for the unit. Figured I'd throw that out there.
    '16 Fiesta ST

How does it sound? Anything strange? I did some looking around on your amp and many complain about the heat output and mention the heatsink is undersized for the unit. Figured I'd throw that out there.
    hmm good to know about the complaints. surprised though especially with the gain so low, thats why I assumed ground.

What do you guys think of that ground?

And the sound is amazing. I have never been so happy with my system.

Forum Member

That only measures the voice coil impedance. Impedance isn't constant, and will fluctuate wildly through the frequency band. Impedance is usually highest at Fs (cone resonance frequency). The cabinet has a lot to do with it as well. A cabinet not properly matched to the driver will alter the factory impedance curve, which puts added stress on a lower powered amp or an amp with a poor power supply. If the cone has to move more air than it was designed to, it can bring a lesser quality amp to it's knees, bottom out the voice coil, or both.
    Tin, I was just looking for the baseline be 2ohm or 4 ohm load. As you noted the amp is known to run hot. Cabinet gain over frequency is a variable that is fun to play with. I'm a former db drag guy. Cabinet design is a crazy art I have only scratched the surface of. I have lots of learning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-K View Post
    Tin, I was just looking for the baseline be 2ohm or 4 ohm load. As you noted the amp is known to run hot. Cabinet gain over frequency is a variable that is fun to play with. I'm a former db drag guy. Cabinet design is a crazy art I have only scratched the surface of. I have lots of learning to do.
    Cabinet design is fun. Lots of software out there to simulate response. A good free one is WinISD, you just input the T/S parameters and go from there, pretty good stuff. If you want more elaborate designs like quarter-wave tubes, transmission lines, and horn enclosures, the Martin J King Mathcad worksheets are the golden standard.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Any opinion on the ground I'm using?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    Any opinion on the ground I'm using?
    The ground should be fine. voltage drop the ground at high volume. If you find .2-.3 v or less it's just fine. You can use the hand test if the ground gets warm you have resistance.

Thread Information