Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    What did you do rig up a bomb or something?
    Not yet but its half way there lol..I have 2 of the 15 inch DC Audios but only put one in for now running at 1ohm..Pretty much hitting this one sub with around 2250W RMS lol..Once I get another Sundown SAZ-3500D amp,0ga wiring and another battery,im putting the 2nd sub in..I wanna do hair tricks like this ..

Forum Member

Have any experience/knowledge about Decware stuff? I noticed on the site that they have a D.I.Y. section and got me interested in trying one out. You think something like this would be worth the time and effort?
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/HORN.html
    http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper120.html
    Should it sound better then the generic $150-$200 floorstanding speaker stuff? (Klipsch Synergy F-30, Polk Audio TSi300, etc)
    Currently have a pair of Energy XL-16b-1 and Velodyne CT-80 in the room. Got the energy speakers for free from my dad when he upgraded and bought the Velodyne from a neighbor for $50. Not much invested so I don't mind trying something different.

Decware is very good stuff, you just need speakers efficient enough to work with a low wattage amplifier. Amps under 5WPC are affectionately called flea amps, and they are probably some of the best sounding amplifiers out there. The Decware Zen uses EL84 output tubes in a single-ended class A configuration good for about 2 or 3WPC, so you'll need speakers of at least 93dB 1W/m and a benign impedance load. Benign meaning there are no dips in the frequency response that will stress the amplifier. For off-the-shelf speakers, you'll want something like a Klipsch Forte, Forte II, Cornwall, LaScala, Klipschorn, etc. Vintage Electro Voice, Altec Lansing, University, Knight, and Jensen speakers are the perfect match. I ran a pair of EV 12TRXB coaxials with a 4W 2A3 single-ended tube amplifier, everybody that heard it told me that hadn't heard anything better. It's very hard to describe the sound of a SET (single-ended triode) because it doesn't sound as if the music is being thrown at you from speakers, but hanging in the air all around you. SET is the oldest form of amplification, but it's also the purest amplifier topography, most times having zero to a small handful of components in the signal path. Awesome stuff. Most speakers that work well with it will be very large. My Electro Voices are in 5cu ft cabinets, they dwarf pretty much any speaker you'd see in a store today.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Hey Tin - I am throwing a 10" Infinity sub rated for a .75 cu ft sealed enclosure into a .75 cu ft MDF sealed enclosure...

1) Do I need to take into account driver displacement, or is that typically accounted for in the mfg's ".75" requirement?
    2) Should I add polyfill, and if so, how much would be a good starting point? What should I be listening for to determine if I should add or remove any?

Thanks for this thread - I learn a ton reading it!

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    Hey Tin - I am throwing a 10" Infinity sub rated for a .75 cu ft sealed enclosure into a .75 cu ft MDF sealed enclosure...

1) Do I need to take into account driver displacement, or is that typically accounted for in the mfg's ".75" requirement?
    2) Should I add polyfill, and if so, how much would be a good starting point? What should I be listening for to determine if I should add or remove any?

Thanks for this thread - I learn a ton reading it!
    You can use the .75cu ft dimension on an empty cab no problem. You'll definitely want some sort of loose damping material in the cabinet. Polyfill is good, but there are good substitutes that are cheaper. Pillow stuffing and loose fiberglass insulation are my favorite. It's hard to say how much to use, as this is where you'll be best off experimenting. It's a "salt to taste" type of thing. Fiberglass insulation has great acoustic properties, but manufacturers have largely abandoned it because of how messy it is when handling. You want the bass to have punch, but not sound boomy. Boomy bass is a sign of an inadequately sized/constructed cabinet and/or too little damping material. Make sure your cabinet is braced correctly and you'll be good.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Cool, thanks! I'll start with pillow stuffing. Any recommendation on how much would be a good amount to start with...I mean, should it loosely fill the entire space, should it just be a little laying at the bottom of the enclosure? I don't really know what a "baseline" would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    Cool, thanks! I'll start with pillow stuffing. Any recommendation on how much would be a good amount to start with...I mean, should it loosely fill the entire space, should it just be a little laying at the bottom of the enclosure? I don't really know what a "baseline" would be.
    You'll want to loosely fill the entire space. The object of damping material is to minimize internal reflections in the cabinet and diffuse standing waves and resonance. If this were a ported enclosure, then you'd line the walls of the cabinet aside from the speaker baffle.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Not yet but its half way there lol..I have 2 of the 15 inch DC Audios but only put one in for now running at 1ohm..Pretty much hitting this one sub with around 2250W RMS lol..Once I get another Sundown SAZ-3500D amp,0ga wiring and another battery,im putting the 2nd sub in..I wanna do hair tricks like this ..
    Should have went with sundown x15. I want to run 2 zv4 12's on a scv 6 k.

Sweet lord are these a bargain. Martin Logan electrostats. I heard a pair at Alma's Hifi on Woodward a few years back, and they were asking $2500 for these exact ones. If I only had the room and a spare grand sitting around

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5333026197.html
    Last edited by Tin; 12-11-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Ok, so here's an odd one. A buddy has an AppleTV as his sole source to his tv. He wants to hook up a 2.1 audio setup using existing speakers/sub, but needs a way to power them. He doesn't need source switching or processing, just literally a way to power them. The kicker is, he doesn't have room for a full HT receiver and he wants to keep volume control on the AppleTV remote. If he uses optical output, he loses volume control. If he uses HDMI, he keeps volume control via CEC, however there seem to be no amps/receivers that accept HDMI/CEC that aren't full-sized home theater receivers. Basically he's looking for a T-Amp with HDMI input and CEC control, or a way to accomplish the same thing using a generic mini-amp. He also would prefer to not buy a sound bar.

Any ideas??

Thread Information