Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    Ok, so here's an odd one. A buddy has an AppleTV as his sole source to his tv. He wants to hook up a 2.1 audio setup using existing speakers/sub, but needs a way to power them. He doesn't need source switching or processing, just literally a way to power them. The kicker is, he doesn't have room for a full HT receiver and he wants to keep volume control on the AppleTV remote. If he uses optical output, he loses volume control. If he uses HDMI, he keeps volume control via CEC, however there seem to be no amps/receivers that accept HDMI/CEC that aren't full-sized home theater receivers. Basically he's looking for a T-Amp with HDMI input and CEC control, or a way to accomplish the same thing using a generic mini-amp. He also would prefer to not buy a sound bar.

Any ideas??
    I don't think there are any small stereo amplifiers with HDMI inputs. For a component to use HDMI, it has to be licensed to the manufacturer, generally at a rate of tens of thousands of dollars per year. This is why you don't see too many small outfits using HDMI on their components due to the very high licensing costs involved. Depending on how much he wants to spend, I'd look at something like the Emotiva Fusion Flex https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/fusion-flex and pair it with a FiiO D03K DAC https://www.parts-express.com/fiio-d...erter--230-120 He could then simply disable CEC and audio on his HDMI connection and do everything through the amplifier. If he has a learning universal remote, he could set it so it works with both the Apple TV and amplifier.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thanks, that makes sense. He specifically wants to use the AppleTV remote, for which any receiver with HDMI-CEC compatibility would work. There's just nothing like this that is physically smaller than a full HT receiver and doesn't come with its own speakers of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. He specifically wants to use the AppleTV remote, for which any receiver with HDMI-CEC compatibility would work. There's just nothing like this that is physically smaller than a full HT receiver and doesn't come with its own speakers of some sort.
    How much room does he have to work with? Generally, in space constrained area I'd recommend a Marantz Slimline receiver. They do run about $400 to $500, but they're also about half the height of a standard AVR.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Absolutely none, lol. He's also building a full HT setup in his basement with a 120" projector and will have an equipment rack almost directly below his living room which is where he needs the amp in question. I suggested to him that he just use a normal HT receiver but remotely locate it in that equipment rack since the cables won't really be that long due to the close proximity, the AppleTV is the only source so no need for source switching, and the CEC will control the volume as needed. The only possible hiccup is if the CEC doesn't turn on/off the receiver, but in the meantime I think that's the plan. Thanks for the feedback!

As soon as I plug my sub in, it fires up LOUD and constant. .......

Could it be because i have a 2 prong female imput on the sub, and a 3 prong going into the wall with the ground hooked up?

I used a 3 prong power supply cord, and the sub only has 2 prongs.

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    As soon as I plug my sub in, it fires up LOUD and constant. .......

Could it be because i have a 2 prong female imput on the sub, and a 3 prong going into the wall with the ground hooked up?

I used a 3 prong power supply cord, and the sub only has 2 prongs.
    It's possible. Any way you can try a 2-prong?
    '16 Fiesta ST

I dont have one laying around.... could i just cut the prong off the plug for ground?

Apologies if my inquiry has been previously addressed: Bluetooth speaker in the $150-300 range.
    Just something to export the audio to from my iPhone or MacAir when I'm downstairs putzing around..
    Thank-you in advance. (TIA)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

I have heard a few JBL ones and they sounded pretty good in my opinion.. That top one got a lot of good reviews, But I have not heard it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBJ3MWU/...k-822596414-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3SD42Q/...-1740808812-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014QQAM8I/...k-580556479-20

And at any price this one blows me away.....

http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins...b%26w+zeppelin

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Thread Information