Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

I went back to the shop with one of my neighbors and looked them over better and made them hook them up. Sounded fine with no scratching noises of any kind. The enclosures are in really good shape and the bottoms were barely scuffed up so it was clear that they were well taken care of. Original grilles and original cloth on them too but no front labels any more.

Managed to talk them down a bit further on price and bought them and got them home. Now it's time to look into upgrading some other components.

What kind of amplifiers or or equipment should I be looking for that will do these justice?

For studio monitors, you want beefy amplifiers that are 2 or even 1 ohm stable. Something like a Crown or QSC would be best, about 200WPC @ 8 ohms or better. You'll also need a preamp, or you could simply use the preouts of an A/V receiver, integrated amplifier, or stereo receiver. Those are mighty fine speakers. JBL even sells their newer flagship M2 Monitors with a pair of Crown amps http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System
    '16 Fiesta ST

Not my video
    Speaker Section Walkthrough in Japan (Yodobashi Camera)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmAu_fYNPG8

That's a very cool vid, I could spend days in that place.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    For studio monitors, you want beefy amplifiers that are 2 or even 1 ohm stable. Something like a Crown or QSC would be best, about 200WPC @ 8 ohms or better. You'll also need a preamp, or you could simply use the preouts of an A/V receiver, integrated amplifier, or stereo receiver. Those are mighty fine speakers. JBL even sells their newer flagship M2 Monitors with a pair of Crown amps http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System
    Could you give me a list of several differerent models that could work well I should look for? I'm ok with vintage stuff too or even DIY if that would be appropriate. I would prefer to buy 2nd hand.

I have a Denon home theater reciever running these right now with 2 channels but was thinking of bi- amping with it. Do I need a crossover to do this? I guess I need to see if the thing will allow me to adjust an output to >300.

If you ever want to come to Japan to see that place (among many other things) first hand let me know and you have a free place to stay while here. Come be my guest.
    Last edited by 95 Z/28 LT1; 03-29-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    That's a very cool vid, I could spend days in that place.
    If you remember a few years ago, I was emailing you about this place when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1 View Post
    Could you give me a list of several differerent models that could work well I should look for? I'm ok with vintage stuff too or even DIY if that would be appropriate. I would prefer to buy 2nd hand.

I have a Denon home theater reciever running these right now with 2 channels but was thinking of bi- amping with it. Do I need a crossover to do this? I guess I need to see if the thing will allow me to adjust an output to >300khz.

If you ever want to come to Japan to see that place (among many other things) first hand let me know and you have a free place to stay while here. Come be my guest.
    Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama has a fairly decent selection of equipment. I've been there a number of times, and always spend a bit of my down time there. I never did buy any audio equipment there since I would be bringing in back to the US, if it was some obscure piece built for Japan or Asian market I'd be out. But I did see a handful of good stuff. It is interesting to go browse around though.

I have been to the Yodobashi Camera in Osaka on several occasions, it's right outside the JR station and fairly close to me. I think it's like 8 floors, with each one being roughly the size of a Best Buy.

If you want electronics (and anime and manga) though the place to be is Akihabara. They will have about anything you could want, new and used.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1 View Post

I have a Denon home theater reciever running these right now with 2 channels but was thinking of bi- amping with it. Do I need a crossover to do this? I guess I need to see if the thing will allow me to adjust an output to >300.

DIY is the way to go, by far. I've never had any prebuilt amplifier put out higher quality sound than any I've built myself. Kits are a great way to go, as they always come with the higher quality components and take out a lot of the guesswork. A pair of M125 Monoblocks from Tubes4Hifi would run about $1800 plus another $500 to $600 for the tubes. You'd need a preamp too, and for that there are many schematics available for suitable preamps, or you could get a kit such as a Budgie Line Stage from Shannon Parks or even a SP9 from Tubes4Hifi. Keep in mind you will need sufficient power for those JBLs, and the best kits on the market right now for higher powered tube kits are Tubes4Hifi and Transcendent Sound. If you want solid state instead, it's easy to get big power out of Class D amplifiers. The kits from Class D Audio are very well regarded on the popular audio forums.
    '16 Fiesta ST

I think I want to go with tubes.

If I went with Transcendent would I need 2 Beasts to drive the 4343s? Seems like a lot of money...

How would a pair of the M125 monoblocks sound in comparison? Is this the best bet?

I'm not that familiar with the OTL sound advantage besides a little of what I read online.

How come there are no pictures of these jbls!!?

Thread Information