Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Tin, what are your thoughts on the ZVOXsb500 sound bar?

Quote Originally Posted by red347lx View Post
    Tin, what are your thoughts on the ZVOXsb500 sound bar?
    Eh, I'm not a fan of sound bars unless space constraints would rule out the use of a traditional setup. That said, sound bars are best suited to bathroom stalls, jail cells, root cellars, tree houses, snow forts, and enclosed landscaping trailers. If you have the room, you can start out with a standard A/V receiver, a pair of front speakers, and a subwoofer for a few hundred more and get far better sound quality. The best bang for the buck speakers right now are the Elac Debut series designed by Andrew Jones. He did magic with the old Pioneer line that was all the rage a couple of years back, but now he works for Elac and continued on making good budget speakers. Couple those with one of the budget to midrange receivers from Marantz, Yamaha, or Pioneer, and you have a very good audio setup. The best part is, you can expand on that in the future. It wouldn't cost much more to go to a full blown 5.1 setup.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Eh, I'm not a fan of sound bars unless space constraints would rule out the use of a traditional setup. That said, sound bars are best suited to bathroom stalls, jail cells, root cellars, tree houses, snow forts, and enclosed landscaping trailers. If you have the room, you can start out with a standard A/V receiver, a pair of front speakers, and a subwoofer for a few hundred more and get far better sound quality. The best bang for the buck speakers right now are the Elac Debut series designed by Andrew Jones. He did magic with the old Pioneer line that was all the rage a couple of years back, but now he works for Elac and continued on making good budget speakers. Couple those with one of the budget to midrange receivers from Marantz, Yamaha, or Pioneer, and you have a very good audio setup. The best part is, you can expand on that in the future. It wouldn't cost much more to go to a full blown 5.1 setup.
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by red347lx View Post
    Thank you sir
    No problem. The big fault with sound bars is the way they project sound out into the room. All of those speakers used in a sound bar are close together. You will only hear the stereo effect if you're sitting a couple of feet away, further than that and the channels blend into mono and remove all channel separation. The same is also true of a standard stereo pair of speakers, but you can move them further apart to preserve the channel separation if you're sitting further away.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Nvm
    Last edited by red347lx; 07-27-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

I got one for you, the FM reception went out on my 73 Chrysler station wagon, AM still works. I wasn't too concerned, but right now I have the radio out of the car to get at the AC controls above it. Anyways, I know how to read a schematic, I took a few electronic classes in high school, most of it stuck with me, haha. I just don't know where to start. Any thoughts?
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by DRAG-ULA View Post
    I got one for you, the FM reception went out on my 73 Chrysler station wagon, AM still works. I wasn't too concerned, but right now I have the radio out of the car to get at the AC controls above it. Anyways, I know how to read a schematic, I took a few electronic classes in high school, most of it stuck with me, haha. I just don't know where to start. Any thoughts?
    Is FM completely dead or are you getting static or just a weak signal? Check for bulging capacitors, fried resistors, or fried transistors. The caps and resistors are easy to find, but a transistor may be something not currently manufactured and you will either need to find a parts unit or some new old stock transistors.
    Last edited by Tin; 07-28-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Ive asked you this before, but is there a business or anyone locally that can re-cone the woofers in my AT-15's? I tried to re-edge them myself a couple years ago and either I damaged the voice coil when they were used with bad foam or I didnt center the VC correctly when I glued the foam on.

Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    Ive asked you this before, but is there a business or anyone locally that can re-cone the woofers in my AT-15's? I tried to re-edge them myself a couple years ago and either I damaged the voice coil when they were used with bad foam or I didnt center the VC correctly when I glued the foam on.
    I don't know how reputable this place is, but they are local. There doesn't appear to be many options from what I can see.

Spiral Reconing
    3039 12 Mile Road
    Berkley, MI 48072
    (248) 506-2560
    '16 Fiesta ST

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

FM is completely dead. Thanks, I'm gonna pull it apart soon & see if anything looks bad.

Next question, my 70 Imperial lost its radio also, that one works when I first turn it on, I get sound for about a second, then it fades out to nothing. I'm guessing a cap is shot somewhere inside? That radio is cool because on old Imperials you could scan the frequency with a foot switch next to the high/low beam dimmer on the floor.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Thread Information