Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You really don't need anything huge for a 2.5 car. I'd look into something like this Logitech Bluetooth receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-0...tech+bluetooth That way, you can use your phone or tablet to play music on anything with a stereo input. I'm still browsing for accompanying gear and staying under your budget.

EDIT: Here we go, amp and speakers, too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A385A0XNQBW8HY Those B652 speakers are one of the best at their price point, and that amp should be plenty enough for your garage. You can buy it all on Amazon and it'll run you a hair under $125 shipped. Best part is, that amp can be powered by AA batteries, too. You can take it camping or put it in a car trailer when you go on trips. Dual purpose
    How about the latest and greatest budget-friendly garage set-up now?

Tin, you have any recommendations for increasing reception/avoiding emi [L.E.D] interferences for something that relies on a micro usb that uses the micro usb as a power source and antenna to recieve FM signal?
    I've tried shielding the cord to route it away from the interference but not successful.

I just picked up a used SL-1200 MK5 but it didn't come with a head shell or cartridge. I'd like to get a decent setup for this turntable.

Can you recommend some parts for me?

Quote Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1 View Post
    I just picked up a used SL-1200 MK5 but it didn't come with a head shell or cartridge. I'd like to get a decent setup for this turntable.

Can you recommend some parts for me?
    This will cost you a bit and it will take 20-30 hours of listening time for it to really come into it's own, but this is one of the best cartridges for the money.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP110SET.html

I ended up splurging a bit and went for the MP-200H.

Tin, I am looking to set up a nice home stereo. Don't want to spend McIntosh money, but don't want a Best Buy Sony setup either (got that in the garage). Not for watching movies, just for music, mostly CD's and records. Setting up in a 20 x 20 upstairs room as just a hang out/kick back room (no TV in the room). I wouldn't mind something I could send stuff from my phone or computer to via Bluetooth but not a deal breaker if it can't. Needs to sound good at any level and be LOUD and CLEAR.

Suggestions? Especially on speakers and amplification. Tuner not even necessary at this point (may add later). I have a CD and record player I could use for now, just looking to get the core components together - preamp, amp, and speakers. I keep looking at Magnepan speakers, but I am not sold on them. Something in that sound quality range though. New or used is fine too as long as I can get it from a reputable source.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Tin, I am looking to set up a nice home stereo. Don't want to spend McIntosh money, but don't want a Best Buy Sony setup either (got that in the garage). Not for watching movies, just for music, mostly CD's and records. Setting up in a 20 x 20 upstairs room as just a hang out/kick back room (no TV in the room). I wouldn't mind something I could send stuff from my phone or computer to via Bluetooth but not a deal breaker if it can't. Needs to sound good at any level and be LOUD and CLEAR.

Suggestions? Especially on speakers and amplification. Tuner not even necessary at this point (may add later). I have a CD and record player I could use for now, just looking to get the core components together - preamp, amp, and speakers. I keep looking at Magnepan speakers, but I am not sold on them. Something in that sound quality range though. New or used is fine too as long as I can get it from a reputable source.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    Magnepans are awesome, but to me they fall short in the bass department. Electrostatic speakers typically don't do bass very good unless the panels are huge, but everything else they do great. A good brand of electrostatic speakers that does provide good bass are the Martin Logans. The key with the Martin Logans is they have a powered woofer to augment the electrostatic panels, so you get the full range of sound. If you want 'stats, you will need a beefy amplifier, something 200WPC or more and stable at low resistance, like 1 ohm or 2 ohms. Emotiva makes very nice units that don't break the bank, and they have a fantastic home audition period. If you aren't happy, send it back within 30 days for a full refund. The Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESLs run ~$2500 per pair new, but you might be able to find them used for half of that. I saw a pair at Alma's HiFi on Woodward last year for $1400 and almost went home with them.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Those Martin Logans might be the ticket. Thank you!

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Those Martin Logans might be the ticket. Thank you!

-Geoff
    They're pretty awesome speakers. I sat in Alma's for an hour listening to them and was blown away. You could always hit some of the hifi shops on Woodward and take some of your favorite CDs with you, they are pretty cool and will let you check out whatever you want.
    '16 Fiesta ST

I have a pretty cheap pair of Bozak speakers if someone is looking for a winter project.

they look like this

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/...bozak-302a.htm

someone swapped the mid for a horn and made a crossover. they just kind of need to be put back together. $100

Thread Information