Thread: How quickly things can change...

Default How quickly things can change...

This overall story occurred quite some time ago, and it really has taken me this long to post it on here. But I figured that I might as well post it while I've got enough time. I know that a lot of you may not even know who I am, but I wanted to share this with the various car communities that I am a part of, so Motown Muscle it is! I know the car in itself isn't quite the most common genre for this site, but I feel that its the story that makes this important.

So as some, or none, of you know I own my subaru's, but I also have a very important 2001 Mazda Protege MP3. And this is the story why.

I have been on the forums (Mazadas247.com) for quite some time. I have participated in the SE-MI Fun Runs riding shot gun in the blue 474 MP3. When doing this I was riding with my best friend, Erik, who is known as winty87 on the boards.

Erik sold the car to the member on mazdas247 who came to be known as martispeed. Erik sold the car because he couldn't keep up with the payments and insurance at the time, but he loved that car.

Erik then bought a 1998.5 SVT Contour which I helped him to work on the numerous times that it needed help. We would both often bring up how he should have found out a way to keep the Mazda as it was his favorite car which shared many memories. He would often bring up how much he loved that car and that he would buy his back if he could, or would buy another MP3 if he couldn't get his.

On July 13, 2009 Erik was involved in a accident, no irresponsible driving, truly a textbook accident. He was T-boned in Brighton, MI while going to lunch at work. This was one day before his 22nd birthday. When I received the phone call that he had been in an accident my heart dropped as Erik and I had been best friends since we were 4 years old. Over the next weeks I spent every second I could at the U of M hospital in Ann Arbor, MI. I was there all day and spent many nights sleeping in the ICU lobby to stay by my best friend's side.

On July 29, 2009 Erik was taken off of life support as his injuries and infections had become too much for his body to fight on his own. It was the worst day of my life and not a day goes by where I do not miss him. We grew up together and couldn't have been any closer.

As time went on I sold one of my vehicles and began car searching. After weeks of looking and sellers that fell through I saw an MP3 for sale on a local forum and I thought to myself, "Maybe, just maybe I can find Erik's MP3 and buy it." This is where the searching began as once I had that thought I had to, at the very least, see Erik's car again. After hunting around for his car's build number and luckily finding the owner, Anthony (martispeed), I contacted him asking if he still owned the car and that there was a story behind it. Anthony kindly replied to me with a PM and his phone number in which I called immediately. I told Anthony my story and he said that we should meet in person. I was very happy that he suggested this idea. The next day (4-12-2010) I met Anthony in Lansing, MI. I expressed my interest in the car, what it meant to me, and that I wanted to buy it. Anthony told me that he wanted some time to think it over, which I understood and was fine with.

I then sat patiently checking my phone for a message, looking at email, and checking the boards for a PM every second I could. Then it happened, Anthony called me the next day (4-13-2010) and tells me that he will sell me the car. Words cannot explain the feeling that I had when he told me this. Within 3 hours I was at Anthony's house buying the car my best friend once owned. I have a large piece of his life back with me, back home.

I can't even begin to explain how much this means to me. To have this car back after it was sold so long ago. I still fight Erik's death in my mind every day and the only thing to help me through it are to collect and cherish the things and memories Erik and I had over his amazing life. This car is one of the largest pieces that I could have ever thought to get back in my life. This car will be taken car of, fixed/restored, and kept alive for as long as I own it, which will be the rest of my life. It is far more than just a car to me, it is the car that went on so many trips, so many fun runs, and caused so much mischief with my best friend. This car is a piece of history and memory of my best friend.

Anthony,

As I have said before, I cannot explain how much it means to me that you've sold me Erik's car. It shows that there are exceptional people in this world that are understanding. It shows that there are people who still have a heart for others that are in pain. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,
    Alex

Rest In Peace Erik Mitchell Wint

You are loved and missed every day.

These photos were taken by Erik when he owned MP3 #474

I took this photo while riding with Erik on a Mazda Fun Run to Hell when he still owned the car.

Updated Photos once I got the car:

And the latest updates:

The car now has 20% tint all around, excluding windshield. New battery and alternator as they both died on me. And an Alpine HU. The official license plate is on the car as well.

The license plate 'miss you Erik'

And here it is sitting for the winter.

I haven't gotten time to address a lot of the help the car needs. Right now the list is pretty long.

As of now it needs:

Oil pan repaired
    Tires
    Refinish/powdercoat wheels
    Brakes
    Clunk fix installed for rear suspension
    Rust repaired in numerous areas, body work, and repaint
    New windshield
    Suspension

Once those are taken care of it will be getting:

Built engine
    Turbo power
    Built trans with LSD
    Further suspension upgrades
    Interior work

Right now I'm looking at around $5,000 just to get the car back to essentially showroom, and from there it will get much more. I am planning to do anything that Erik and I had ever discussed doing to the car.

Currently with school and terrible summer living situations there was no money made to put into the areas that need it. Its a slow process at the moment, but as soon as I'm out of school, and hopefully with a good job, things will take off very quickly. This car needs to be where it should be.

I have been trying to find companies, shops, or businesses to aid in the rebuild of the car to get it to where it belongs and stand behind what something like this means. I want to get this car where it belongs as soon as I can.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

wow what a story,good luck and keep us updated

Cool story man and best of luck to you and with the car.

Wow, that's really cool of you to do.
    If I had money like Henry Ford, Lord I’d have me a woman on every road, But someday baby,You ain’t worry my life anymore

People say he's a nice, but they also said that about Ted Bundy

<----Jesus loves you, but I think you're a cunt

Club Member

Great story. You're a true friend. I don't think I have any friends or family that would do that for me.
    Awesome car also. I bought a 2003 mazdaspeed protege (orange) right after I graduated college. Was by far the best handling car I've ever driven, even to this day. I had a lot of fun with it but sold a few years later in order to buy a house and get married (shoulda just kept the car instead, lol). I hope to one day buy another one.

Almost bought an MP3 once...nice little car. Cool story, too...thanks for sharing!
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

I had the chance to meet Eric and do some of the fun runs with him. I think it's awesome that you're carrying his legacy on and keeping the build moving forward. Hopefully once it's done, you can share the story with others and encourage people to do the same. I was always a fan of the MP3 and MSP, almost bought one but ended up with a silver ES 5-speed.

Very cool!!!!!

Thread Information