Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fox front spring installs

You can do it without weight in the front. Use a ratchet strap or chain and wrap it around the jack and to the frame. that way you have a press, just make sure you use proper strapping and rigging. I did this on my 77 camaro. Gotta get the set up right, but it can work in a pinch.
    90 Red Fox Notch factory short block on 175Sold
    02 GMC Sierra 2500 ECLB Passsing everything but a gas station
    98 Cavalier 2.2 rusty but trusty
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

Quote Originally Posted by 99slverZ View Post
    I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

The MM tool arrived today. Not sure when I'll get to try it out. Might have to wait until red347lx can come act as balast... HAHA!!
    I was figuring on using a ratchet strap as a "safety device".

The "spring compressor on the ground then tie it off with coat hangers" method scares the crap out of me!! That's like holding a live grenade with a random timer!
    Last edited by OldbutNew; 01-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billydroveit View Post
    You can do it without weight in the front. Use a ratchet strap or chain and wrap it around the jack and to the frame. that way you have a press, just make sure you use proper strapping and rigging. I did this on my 77 camaro. Gotta get the set up right, but it can work in a pinch.
    I had a '76. Bought a Rancho suspension kit for it. Yes, RANCHO! Springs, adjustable bars, and shocks. Put the front subframe together on sawhorses. Used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plate cut to 5 or 6" rounds, a couple of Torrington bearings, and a 2' long piece of 5/8" all-thread. Worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by OldbutNew View Post
    I had a '76. Bought a Rancho suspension kit for it. Yes, RANCHO! Springs, adjustable bars, and shocks. Put the front subframe together on sawhorses. Used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plate cut to 5 or 6" rounds, a couple of Torrington bearings, and a 2' long piece of 5/8" all-thread. Worked great!
    Ranho makes decent stuff for these cars, noone realizes it though! I believe they still do too.

Tying a spring with a "coat hanger" is knocking on deaths door ready to jump in!
    90 Red Fox Notch factory short block on 175Sold
    02 GMC Sierra 2500 ECLB Passsing everything but a gas station
    98 Cavalier 2.2 rusty but trusty
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

Quote Originally Posted by 99slverZ View Post
    I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

The Maximum Motorsports install tool may be the best 14 bucks I ever spent.
    It made putting those springs in a breeze. Never a slip or a wobble.

On my wife's BMW I compressed the rear spring using the auto zone tool, then zip tied every coil to each other. No joke, I had about 50 tie wraps on each spring. All I needed was like an extra .5 inch to get them in. Once in, I cut the tie wraps. Worked mint.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Wonder what the rate on those Bimmer rear springs is? 50 tie straps, huh? You're braver than me!
    You're welcome to try this on the 650lb/in springs I just put in. Just not in MY shop!!

Thread Information