Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique Features of old/new cars - Picture Post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjmatt View Post
    I always thought the Traffic Light Viewer was cool
    Damn, that was one of my fallbacks.

I've got one, but can't find a good description or picture of it. 1950's Packard, the hood opens in either direction via levers that are inside of the dash. You can kind of see the center hinge that pivots in either direction in this picture....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    mercedes got the jump on lots of features in the S class though. cool commercial.
    I'll have to find my pictures from the MB museum in Stuttgart. There's a picture from the 60's that shows their test chase vehicles. Due to the added weight of equipment they ran cables through the roof to a chase vehicle and the chase vehicle (a wagon IIRC) held all the equipment to make data recordings.

EDIT: Found a picture on Google. Known as the Messwagen (measurement wagon).

Last edited by 04GoaT; 01-24-2012 at 06:11 PM.

^ awesome.

Tucker Torpedo - 3 headlights, the middle was the first adaptive. it was linked to the steering wheel.

Edsel Teletouch.

NSU Ro80 - first 2-rotor car (wankel).

^ looks like a later one. i think it came out in the late 60's.

Iso Isetta with it's forward opening door and swiveling steering wheel. anyone see the top gear when james may parked too close to the wall and couldn't get out?

i know there are BMW isettas around, but 4 different companies built them. they were all a little bit different i believe, but Iso was the original (italian company).
    they came w/ 3 wheels, as well as 4.

which reminds me of the funky one on woodward with the SBC hanging out the back. lol.

Forum Member

My great grandparents had an isetta, my dad and uncle used to push it around in the around the field by hand. Sometimes with the help of the 1937 Ford stake truck my great grandfather owned, which is being done by Reiters right now.

^ cool!

citroen DS - while i think it's oddly stunning, the steering wheel is the unique part.

single spoke wheel, nearly vertical shifter and dash-mounted rear-view mirror. interesting car.

1947 Land Rover "Centre Steer" concept car.

designed as a truck for agriculture - steering wheel in the middle, like a tractor. removable passenger seats on each side of the driver, similar to a road version of the mclaren f1. also had a PTO hookup.

Mercedes Gelandewagen, otherwise known as G-wagen or G class. it's essentially the same underneath as it was when introduced in '79.

i don't know for sure, but i am fairly certain it's the first production car with both front and rear lockers, as well as a locking center diff. while some may say they look silly (of course, i like 'em. ), they're supposedly shockingly good off-road.

1907 Berliet race car - open valve train. cool shit.

Brooklands - 1907 Berliet-Curtiss Racer (BF 4364) by growler2ndrow, on Flickr

Brooklands - 1907 Berliet-Curtiss Racer Engine (BF 4364) by growler2ndrow, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    I like the factory sequential taillights on the old Cougars. The turn signals blinked sequentially in the direction you were turning:
    my Lincoln had the sequential tails too, they were badass.The other cool thing it had was that the horn was built into the steering wheel ring, just squeezing the inside of the wheel anywhere would beep the horn
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Definitely a cool thread - some neat features so far...

Thread Information