Thread: 99 Alero 2.4 DOHC Timing Chain

Default 99 Alero 2.4 DOHC Timing Chain

Just picked up an alero that I believe needs a timing chain. Is this motor an interference engine? Still turns over just fine and sounds like it has decent compression just wont start. Hoping if it is the timing chain there are no bent valves. Lady I bought it from took it to a local garage and they said it needed a timing chain. I just picked it up last night so havent dug into it yet.

Yep, it's an interference design. If it rattles from the side case then it could be timing, if it's a tick it's a rod bearing.

Motor does not make a single noise when you turn it over. To ticks, knocks or anything. Gonna start on it tomorrow. Just hoping there is no internal damage since there is absolutely no noises at all and turns over as normal just does not start.

You have spark? The DIS on those cars suck. When they work, they work great, but let there be one flaw and it's all down hill from there. Does the car have a tach gauge or do you have a scan tool?

I honestly havent even looked at the car yet. Just going off what a local and fairly reputable shop said. Gonna tear into it tomorrow probably. Just trying to calm my fears of internal damage but I doubt it since it turns over so nicely.

Thread Information