Thread: Need help with 5 lug swap

Default Need help with 5 lug swap

I'm changing my 81 hatch to 5 lug. The rear is all done but I'm about to do the front and wanted to know if can use the spindles and brake set up from a 2001 mustang (pbr twin piston) on my fox? Could I put on a 1" shorter A arm and help suck the wheel back in? Has anyone done this?

'94-95 spindles are preferred from a geometry perspective. Use the Fox lower a arm and the spacer for the ball joint nut.
    Go to www.maximummotorsports.com and spend some time looking at their install instructions and Q&A. Anything you want to know about this swap is on there. I went with the '95 spindles, '97 Cobra rear end, '97 Cobra discs all 'round and a '93 Cobra M/C. Just finished this on my '88 and it's driving and handling great.

Club Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but the '96-up spindles are only 8mm "wider" than the '94/'95 spindles. The majority track width increase (relative to your foxbody lower control arm) is in the lower control arm....not the spindle. The bolt pattern on the caliper/spindle interface should be the same on them all, so the caliper should work fine on any of the above mentioned spindles.

Problem with the 96+ spindles is that Ford dropped the steering rack to make room for the 4.6l so youll need a bumpsteer kit to correct it. Bumpsteer Kit + 96+ knuckles = More expensive than 94-95 Knuckles
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

'96-'04 spindles and a bumpsteer kit won't fix the issue. The arm on the spindle itself occupies the space where the tie rod end wants to be. Maximum Motorsports describes all the options and variations in detail.

Thread Information