Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Pawn Shop Law

Default Michigan Pawn Shop Law

This is completely FUCKED UP. Apparently Michigan is one of 3 states that operates like this. If someone steals your stuff and someone else that doesn't know it was stolen is the one that sells it to a pawn shop, you can't get your stuff back. One of my wife's coworkers had a bunch of jewelry stolen. She even offered to buy her stuff back for what the pawn shop apid for it and they declined. Her only recourse is to pay the pawn shop's asking price for her stuff! Seriously?!?! Pretty fucked up situation.

Seems to me like something some state legislative people need to be written letters about.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

wifes dad got his garaged ripped off in belleville and found his stuff at the belleville pawn shop there was nothing he could do.

That's not true.

If the jewelry is verified that it's stolen by the police it should be placed on hold. Once the police do what they have to do to investigate it they release it to the party it was stolen from. They must pay the cost. Not a penny more.

If they aren't doing this tell your friend to contact the investigator immediately. The pawnshop is breaking the law.

What city police and shop? PM me of you want. I have A TON of experience in this.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

I asked my wife, she didn't know. I'll let you know when I find out. Holly just told me that her firend did say the jewelry is on hold.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

That's good. That's the first step. Once the Police release it she should only have to pay the cost. That's the law.

Some city's require a release form some do not. Most of the time as long as the merchandise isn't still in an active loan the police can verbally release it to the original owner.

Like I said I have dealt with this a ton, with a ton of different police departments. If you have any questions or I can help in any way just let me know.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Doesn't the fact it's stolen property mean anything? Shouldn't the pawn shop also have matching photo id to the person who pawned it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Doesn't the fact it's stolen property mean anything? Shouldn't the pawn shop also have matching photo id to the person who pawned it?
    No shit?!?! I thought the pawn shop had an obligation to get ID from the person pawning solely for the purpose of tracing it if it is stolen?? That's bullshit that someone would have to buy their own shit back!! Why shouldn't the pawnshop be held responsible for recieving stolen property?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Yes, they are responsible for getting a valid ID.

But by pawning it does that mean they stole it? Its just possession of stolen property.

Quote Originally Posted by QWKSLVR View Post
    No shit?!?! I thought the pawn shop had an obligation to get ID from the person pawning solely for the purpose of tracing it if it is stolen?? That's bullshit that someone would have to buy their own shit back!! Why shouldn't the pawnshop be held responsible for recieving stolen property?
    The pawnshop isn't responsible for investigating where the person got the stuff they are pawning. We do have to get ID. Why should the pawnshop have to pay? We purchase things all day. We have no idea where they are from. Short of someone coming up and saying "I just ripped this off, whats it worth", its not our job to decide if its stolen.

Pawnshops are considered good faith buyers. Meaning that if there is no way we could have known that it was stolen property then the law covers us. The person just has to pay our cost, usually a small fraction of what the item is worth. Most of the time they're insurance co. covers it anyway.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by QWKSLVR View Post
    When my gf pawned some old gold rings at a local pawn shop they took her ID and thumb print said it was state law? So they should for sure be able to get whomever pawns stolen property.

Quote Originally Posted by holset35 View Post
    wifes dad got his garaged ripped off in belleville and found his stuff at the belleville pawn shop there was nothing he could do.
    That place is fucking SHADY as hell, I had a customer that found his stolen radio in there and they magically "lost" the paperwork reguarding who pawned it. The police did return the radio when he showed up with the box with a matching ser. number

Thread Information