Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The little P's that could. 302 Dyno video/chart.

Default The little P's that could. 302 Dyno video/chart.

While it's still fresh in everyone's mind from the rucus that wikdsvt stirred up with all his 347 with P heads thread of his I figured I would post my latest dyno outing. This was up in Chesaning at the Cruise to the River Car show on X&M Hot Rods Mobile Chassis dyno. Same dyno as last year, and the year b4, and blah, blah. Basic set up is a 96-00 Explorer long block that I added my B-21 cam to and the rest of the supporting mods. Heads have not so much as been off this engine since Ford built it and I dropped it in back in '06 with 90k miles.

The graph shows last falls street trim pull in which it made 303/337, so instead of comparing it to my open header, short belt pull of 317/347 I used this one since I ran it in full street trim yesterday also. This pull was in the fashion I drive the car 85 miles daily, minus the drag wheels/tires I had on for the show. You can see how it didn't really show much of a gain in terms of peak, in fact it dropped tq, but it carried it out further, my guess is the long tubes were accountable for this.

Changes since last fall's dyno session were; went from BBK shorties w/h-pipe to BBK long tubes w/x-pipe, went from 40 series flos to Dynomax welded straight thru muffs, went from 3.73 gears to 4.30 polished/coated gears, stock radiator to aluminum, Pro M Maf to an 03-04 GT Maf, Stock flywheel to aluminum flywheel, new clutch, MicroBlue polished/coated bearings throughout rear end, and other misc other stuff that wouldn't make a diff. like the radiator. The car picked up from a best of 12.47@110 last year to a best of 12.29@111 this year even with a shitty 1.75 60ft so regardless of the "gains" on the dyno, it works. Although the dyno readings were both in SAE it should be noted that yesterdays air was horrid compared to last Octobers, and the fact of the 4.30 swap, would have been nice to see how it would have played out with the same gears but, oh well.

So, here it is...Enjoy.Dyno 7-14-12.jpg
    Last edited by TooSlo86; 07-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Nice!

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Thanks, I was really hoping to have freed up a bit more with the tricks in the rear, but I guess under the conditions I can't bitch. Not to mention my new best time is through the exhaust now!

Nice videos. Just goes to show what a nice little combo will do.

You obviously seem to have this setup pretty well sorted out. Your at the point where you can really start seeing what works and what doesn't with any changes you make. Congrats on a sweet setup.

awesome
    90 Red Fox Notch factory short block on 175Sold
    02 GMC Sierra 2500 ECLB Passsing everything but a gas station
    98 Cavalier 2.2 rusty but trusty
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

Quote Originally Posted by 99slverZ View Post
    I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    You obviously seem to have this setup pretty well sorted out. Your at the point where you can really start seeing what works and what doesn't with any changes you make. Congrats on a sweet setup.
    Thanks again!

I've had this particular engine in here for nearly 6 yrs so I've had plenty of time to tinker with other things to make it quicker without "really" adding power. Honestly, I'm at a point I want to do something drastic, like aftermarket heads or turbo, something, it's just not in the cards. I did get a HX35 given to me, but then found out it was too small and then the car needed alot of other things BEFORE the turbo so that went wayside. I really think this set up would respond AMAZINGLY to forced induction since it is a blower cam I'm currently running. I did have a custom cam ground for it over the winter but have not installed it yet. For one, I wanted to get it on the dyno before hand, for second, I'm afraid of the ptv clearance and being able to check it w/out pulling the heads, for thirds I'm afraid it is going to kill my daily driving abilities and feel like a slug down low since it was intended as a drag only cam to make it's power between 4000-6500. I have another explorer engine with GT40 heads sitting ready to be built back up and I'm thinking about just holding off on the cam for this one, but I would sure like to see what the cam can do in this set up.

On the other two pulls I pulled 2 degrees of timing upstairs for one pull, didn't like it, then I put my timing back and leaned it out to 12.8:1, didn't like it, so I guess next time on there I'll have to go the other route, but from testing at the track it's pretty much where it seems to like it. The thing I'm curious about is the drop at about 3600 rpm. I'll have to look at my datalogs and see what's going on there, I'm not sure if it's spark or fuel but if I can get that curve to continue to follow beyond 3600 that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo86 View Post
    Thanks again!

I've had this particular engine in here for nearly 6 yrs so I've had plenty of time to tinker with other things to make it quicker without "really" adding power. Honestly, I'm at a point I want to do something drastic, like aftermarket heads or turbo, something, it's just not in the cards. I did get a HX35 given to me, but then found out it was too small and then the car needed alot of other things BEFORE the turbo so that went wayside. I really think this set up would respond AMAZINGLY to forced induction since it is a blower cam I'm currently running. I did have a custom cam ground for it over the winter but have not installed it yet. For one, I wanted to get it on the dyno before hand, for second, I'm afraid of the ptv clearance and being able to check it w/out pulling the heads, for thirds I'm afraid it is going to kill my daily driving abilities and feel like a slug down low since it was intended as a drag only cam to make it's power between 4000-6500. I have another explorer engine with GT40 heads sitting ready to be built back up and I'm thinking about just holding off on the cam for this one, but I would sure like to see what the cam can do in this set up.

On the other two pulls I pulled 2 degrees of timing upstairs for one pull, didn't like it, then I put my timing back and leaned it out to 12.8:1, didn't like it, so I guess next time on there I'll have to go the other route, but from testing at the track it's pretty much where it seems to like it. The thing I'm curious about is the drop at about 3600 rpm. I'll have to look at my datalogs and see what's going on there, I'm not sure if it's spark or fuel but if I can get that curve to continue to follow beyond 3600 that would be great!
    The devil is in the details.

I tore my car apart in 2006 and it's still apart. Can't wait to get it back together. I went from a 12:60 n/a setup to building a 10:?? turbo car. The turbo stuff got sold off and now I'm back to building a hopefully n/a 11:?? setup.

"New Thread" & "Post Reply" button abuser Quick86's Avatar

but but but....a 302/306 cannot make over 300 to the tire in any form without boost or spray or getting a stroker kit!!!.....

Thread Information