Thread: Am I wrong or is the other guy just an idiot?

Default Am I wrong or is the other guy just an idiot?

I was driving today and pulled into a turn around to complete a michigan left. I pulled up to the stop sign and traffic was clear so i proceeded into the nearest lane. At the same time a guy pulled out of a parking lot across from me and comes across all 4 lanes and almost hits me. Then he starts flipping me off and yelling something i could not hear cause my windows were up with the A/C on. I believe since i was on the road i should have had the right of way. Am I wrong?

I was actully wishing my DD was a P.O.S. cause i would have given him a little nudge instead of slamming on my brakes to avoid him. Would have loved to see how mad he would have been then.
    "The most valuable thing in life is time!"

Club Member

Well if you both were waiting to pull out and it was clear he had the right of way. But if you were actually pulled out and in a lane before he proceeded to pull out then he was wrong.
    07 C6 Corvette A&A polished hair dryer

MM Cult Member/ Co Co Founder
    President of the Florida chapter

pretty sure he has to take the first lane.

You are on the highway. YOU have the right of way, even if he has a right turn. Cars in the highway go before cars in the parking lot. Unfortunately, most people don't know this...

"New Thread" & "Post Reply" button abuser Quick86's Avatar

AND michigan traffic law states you are required to take the first open available lane. Doesn't matter if you're going to take an immediate left.

I assumed that since i was already on the road in the turn around in the median that i should have the right of way over someone entering the road from a parking lot driveway.
    "The most valuable thing in life is time!"

Quote Originally Posted by TopElimn8r View Post
    I assumed that since i was already on the road in the turn around in the median that i should have the right of way over someone entering the road from a parking lot driveway.
    You do...

Quote Originally Posted by Swifster View Post
    You are on the highway. YOU have the right of way, even if he has a right turn. Cars in the highway go before cars in the parking lot. Unfortunately, most people don't know this...
    X2.
    Vehicles leaving a private drive do not have the right of way over vehicles on the highway.
    Vehicles leaving a private drive entering a highway are required by law to come to a complete stop before pulling out.

Most people are unaware of who has the right of way in a median turn around.
    By law-the first vehicle to enter the turn around has the right of way.
    Median turn around are built large for semis, not for two cars to sit side by side.
    The ONLY exception to this law is if the turn around has painted stripes indicating two separate lanes of traffic.

You did the right thing, most people don't know the rules of the road. They think they have the right away to anything these days, crazy drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    X2.
    Vehicles leaving a private drive do not have the right of way over vehicles on the highway.
    Vehicles leaving a private drive entering a highway are required by law to come to a complete stop before pulling out.

Most people are unaware of who has the right of way in a median turn around.
    By law-the first vehicle to enter the turn around has the right of way.
    Median turn around are built large for semis, not for two cars to sit side by side.
    The ONLY exception to this law is if the turn around has painted stripes indicating two separate lanes of traffic.
    Quite a few median turns also have a sign saying that you have to yield to traffic leaving the parking lot on a green light first. Thats another time where they have the right away leaing the parking lot.

Thread Information