Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fish Aquarium thread.. Who's got um?

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Justin, how do you not have a tank with Michigan fish in it?!?! Looks good though.

I have a 40 gallon tall hexagon sitting around on a hex stand that i should use again. It looked amazing with piranha in it. They were very dirty fish so i got away from it.
    Try some shell dwelling African cichlids. Use 3" or so of pool filter sand for substrate and get about 30ish escargot shells and a dozen Lamprologus brevis. They'll breed regularly and before you know it you'll have an entire colony. Very interesting fish.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Side view here. You can probably make out the equipment a little better in this shot. The rocks are from the shore of Lake Superior, and the plants are potted in 3" terra cotta pots with organic potting soil and capped with pool filter sand.

'16 Fiesta ST

This is what it looked like until this past weekend. I had Jack Dempseys and was trying to get a mated pair, but the one male was absolutely savage to everything else. I ended up taking them and the giant danio dither fish to the pet store yesterday and redoing the whole thing. I went with Honduran Redpoints, which are a lot like Convict cichlids but far more peaceful. They are a rather newly discovered cichlid and not very common in the pet stores.
    I chanced upon mine yesterday guarding a clutch of eggs, so I told the girl working to nab them for me. They get about 5" or so and the 75 will be perfect for them.

Last edited by Tin; 01-16-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

My kids won a carnival goldfish three years ago. My wife bought a cheap little 3 gallon plastic tank. I can't believe the fish is still alive, so I finally upgraded to a 10 gallon tank + filter. Baller 4 lyfe.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    My kids won a carnival goldfish three years ago. My wife bought a cheap little 3 gallon plastic tank. I can't believe the fish is still alive, so I finally upgraded to a 10 gallon tank + filter. Baller 4 lyfe.
    Goldfish are pretty smart for fish. They will outgrow that 10 gallon though. It's pretty common for them to grow to over a foot lol
    '16 Fiesta ST

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Default Fish Aquarium thread.. Who's got um?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Goldfish are pretty smart for fish. They will outgrow that 10 gallon though. It's pretty common for them to grow to over a foot lol
    I feel like he's bored by himself... but I am worried that adding a random fish or two might bring disease or stress. I definitely don't want this to turn into some huge commitment of time and money either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Justin, how do you not have a tank with Michigan fish in it?!?! Looks good though.

I have a 40 gallon tall hexagon sitting around on a hex stand that i should use again. It looked amazing with piranha in it. They were very dirty fish so i got away from it.
    I really want a set up like Tin's now and a few small mouth bass and blue gills.

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    I really want a set up like Tin's now and a few small mouth bass and blue gills.
    Get sunfish, bass get way too big and will quickly outgrow anything short of a 300G. Sunfish are very similar in size and behavior to larger cichlids.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Get sunfish, bass get way too big and will quickly outgrow anything short of a 300G. Sunfish are very similar in size and behavior to larger cichlids.
    I'd just get a few baby small mouth and release them if they got too big. One advantage of that kind of tank, not harming the eco system if they need to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    I'd just get a few baby small mouth and release them if they got too big. One advantage of that kind of tank, not harming the eco system if they need to be released.
    That's a good idea. For long term, look at red eared sunfish, pumpkinseeds, or green sunfish. I'd still go with a very large aquarium since many sunfishes have large territories. For instance, a bluegill typically has a territory 6ft in diameter. They are very aggressive and will beat up on other fish that venture into their territory. Another obstacle you may encounter is the need for live food. Most first generation aquarium fish in general seldom accept prepared foods, so you'll need a steady supply of baitfish, worms, or crustaceans to keep their bellies full.
    Last edited by Tin; 01-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information