Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: rear end pinion angle?

Default rear end pinion angle?

can someone explain what is correct/not correct pinion angle? how it affects traction and hooking up, what is recommended? How do you figure out pinion angle when the axle cannot be installed in car (leaf spring perches not welded on yet due to trying to figure out pinion angle).

stuff like that.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    can someone explain what is correct/not correct pinion angle? how it affects traction and hooking up, what is recommended? How do you figure out pinion angle when the axle cannot be installed in car (leaf spring perches not welded on yet due to trying to figure out pinion angle).

stuff like that.
    measure the output shaft of the trans, then the yoke of the axle needs to be 2* below. When you accelerate the pinion wants to go up due to the torque of the wheels in a rotational force and they will be about even.

When you weld on the perches set the axle on the perches in the car but not welded so you can still adjust things. Put jack stands under the suspension so its loaded, and measure to make sure everything is where it needs to be and then tack the perches after you make sure all your measurements are right. You want the suspension loaded when you weld everything in to make sure everything is right

edit:

It just dawned on my above is for a cv type driveshaft setup, I wasnt thinking.

for a standard driveshaft with u joints on both ends you want to match the angle of the rear pinion and the output shaft of the trans

I had some questions a few months back because of a issue i had developed with my car, go over to yellow bullet and do a search on pinion angle and you will get a lot of useful information.
    BADDOG MOTORSPORTS - "If you can't run with the BADDOG stay on the porch"

66 Chevelle
    CBR 1100
    68 Grand Prix - The cruiser

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

Pinion angle has zero effect on traction or hooking up, it is purely for u joing life and harmonic concerns. You cannot have the shaft perfectly straight or the cap load point never changes and it will prematurely wear out the cap/u joint. (this depends on application but most street cars this is true)

Control arm angle, length, mounting location, shocks, etc.. all effect traction. Pinion angle is a result of getting all those then adjusting it to get proper u joint life and a shaft that doesn't resonate.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by igotaneed4speed View Post
    Pinion angle has zero effect on traction or hooking up, it is purely for u joing life and harmonic concerns. You cannot have the shaft perfectly straight or the cap load point never changes and it will prematurely wear out the cap/u joint. (this depends on application but most street cars this is true)

Control arm angle, length, mounting location, shocks, etc.. all effect traction. Pinion angle is a result of getting all those then adjusting it to get proper u joint life and a shaft that doesn't resonate.
    Really? Pinion angle has no effect? You sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by RSWANNABE View Post
    Really? Pinion angle has no effect? You sure about that?
    lol
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Like previously mentioned, make sure you measure with a load on the springs.
    Buy a cheap bubble protractor.
    Pinion should be angled downwards, and so should the driveshaft out of the trans.
    You shoot for equal amounts of degree. If at the trans is 1.5%, you ultimately would like 1.5% at the rear axle, for a total of 3%.
    Do not have more than a combined total of 5%.
    Heres the most important thing to know. Anytime you weld on the tube of a axle, it bends the tube.
    Once your done measuring, and complete you welding of the perches, you need to take the housing to someone that can straighten it.
    It usually cost 100-150 bucks.
    Dana corporation has lots of factual engineering information about pinion angles. You might spend a few minuets researching their data.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    Like previously mentioned, make sure you measure with a load on the springs.
    How do i do that when the Axle sits on top of the leaf spring? I can't bolt it to the leaf spring without the perch, I can't put the perch on until i know the pinion angle?
    How can i support the weight of the car with a load on the springs without the axle attached? Put 2 jack stands under the leaf springs and just set the axle on the springs without tires?

jack up car, remove rear leaf spring from one side, put axle in, reattach leaf spring, lower car so weight of leaf springs is on the jack stands, position and measure axle for perches? I sure hte hell don't want to climb under a car being held up by jack stands under the leaf springs...

Thoughts?
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    How do i do that when the Axle sits on top of the leaf spring? I can't bolt it to the leaf spring without the perch, I can't put the perch on until i know the pinion angle?
    How can i support the weight of the car with a load on the springs without the axle attached? Put 2 jack stands under the leaf springs and just set the axle on the springs without tires?

jack up car, remove rear leaf spring from one side, put axle in, reattach leaf spring, lower car so weight of leaf springs is on the jack stands, position and measure axle for perches? I sure hte hell don't want to climb under a car being held up by jack stands under the leaf springs...

Thoughts?
    Perchs sit between axle and spring,bolt it together leave it loose enough to move around with a lite tap from a hammer or chunk of wood etc put stands under spring if at all possible if not get as close to spring as possible on housing but make sure your u bolts are snug before tacking in place.take your time measure twice tack once if you know what I mean and don't forget your side to side measurements

Quote Originally Posted by igotaneed4speed View Post
    Pinion angle has zero effect on traction or hooking up
    Curious who told you that?

So +5* would act the same as -2,-2.5* I just wanna be sure that's what your saying. The U joints would just wear out faster.

What did the same guy tell you about pinion angle in relation to instant center?

I would love to sit and listen to this guy talk. We could meet at Zimmermans on pulled pork and rib night.

Thread Information