Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: rear end pinion angle?

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

Quote Originally Posted by Team Z Motorsports View Post
    This is a good argument, and I save my arguing for the grudge section!

No one can offer real proof of either side of the argument. "Does pinion angle effect traction." If you ask drag racers you will get mixed OPINIONS If you ask stock car and dirt track racers the will say it defiantly effects traction, but unless you have a traction Dyno you cant quantify that a pinion angle change, changes traction. I will say that it does change drive line bind and bind does affect traction. So is it the pinion angle or the bind?
    I will also say that when you change pinion angle it does change the length of the arms, but the amount is to insignificant to change the IC. That is unless you are swinging the pinion angle 10 degrees, but I don't think anyone here is talking more than 2-3 degrees, which with a standard 3/4-16 heim that is only .225 of an inch and a .225 inch change in arm LENGTH will not net a significant change in IC.

Ive seen this argument plenty of times over the past 10 years and nobody has proved it either way. It's not really worth arguing over, the best thing I can say is go to the track and keep adding negative pinion angle until you get a result,(that could be a wheelie, better 60' time or a drop in MPH, but a result) I've done it plenty of times you will learn something from it.

I absolutely love that statement! no homo .

I've learned more of what works and doesn't work by doing the wrong thing and getting bad results then being able to apply it forward getting a lil better at it each time. No where in the ballpark of your experience obviously but still trying to learn something new each and every time out.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    SO for a stock leaf suspension car can I do the following and it will be close:

1. Measure the pinion angle and compare it to the angle of the leaf spring mounts on the STOCK axle.
    2. Transfer those measurements to the new axle
    3. Weld in the leaf spring mounts
    4. Straighten housing

Thread Information