Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-car from Grattan Raceway 9-9-2012

Default In-car from Grattan Raceway 9-9-2012

Playing with Quasar, Chixdigme, and Rob

Following my buddy's Panoz around for a few laps

One more session with Rob, John, and Austin (the roadrace 3rd gen Camaro).

Last edited by Scooter70; 09-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Sweet. So much fun. Hard to believe 99% of the people here don't race.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    Sweet. So much fun. Hard to believe 99% of the people here only race in a straight line.
    Corrected for accuracy, LOL. 3Balls events are the best!
    I never wanted to get married, I got married. Never wanted kids, I have 2 of them. Why the hell am I here?

Added the 3rd video to the original post.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

That looks like so much damn fun! Let me ask a super simple newb question.... how does one get started in this kind of racing. You have to admit, drag racing is THE most accessible form or racing. Anybody with anything can go down the 1/4 (passing tech). What does a beginner do? How did YOU get into it? Thanks!

Getting started is as easy as showing up to one of our events. Mark (mdhmi) came to watch one last year and that was all it took to get hooked. John (Quasar) in the black Firebird in the videos did the same thing a few years ago and now he races in the Camaro - Mustang Challenge in NASA. As far as car prep, all you really need for the first couple of events is a solid car with fresh brake fluid and decent brake pads. You don't need a track prepped Corvette to come out and have fun. We have people show up in typical DDs and have just as much fun as someone in a brand new Mustang GT.

At 3BallsRacing, we divide the people into 4 groups based on experience and skill level. You start out in Group 4 and progress up to 1. We have a short "classroom" session in the morning where Ken explains the basics and goes over rules of the track. Then when it's time to hit the track, we have instructors who ride with you and show you the line. You also have the opportunity to ride in the instructors' cars to see how it's done. It's an eye opening experience and usually surprises students who think they know what they're doing when they show up.

As for me personally, my dad and I found a group similar to 3Balls back home in Massachusetts. We went to our first event in 1997 at Loudon, NH in our 1972 Corvette LT-1 and had an incredible time. It only takes one good event to get hooked. It can even happen just by showing up to spectate. Steve (Overboost) came out to Grattan last month with us, went for a ride in a couple of cars, and had ordered himself a new helmet before he even got home that night. Quick86 came out to take pictures earlier this year and now he's redoing the brakes on his Mustang so he can run next season.

Unfortunately we only have one more event this year (MidOhio in October) so there isn't much opportunity to come out this season. If you're at all interested, come out to one of our events and I guarantee you'll have a good time.

Awesome! I'm putting this on my list! I have time issues mostly (who doesn't) but I will commit to at least visiting a race. I live near Waterford Hills as well. You guys ever race at that track? I have a car that deserves to be driven properly (closed course) and I would love to give it a go.

+1 to your response! You are a true enthusiast.

No problem. We do run Waterford at least a couple of times a year. It's usually on a Monday though.

Club Member

I got hooked in 1995 at Shelby Club event at Road America. Went with a buddy who ended up knowing the guys there from Cleveland Engine who were running an A-Sedan '93 Cobra R...and we both got rides. It was the best 20 minute roller coaster ride with engine/exhaust noise to boot.
    Open tracking is addicting...and rarely has any of the big mouth/small-minded bullsh#t that I see at the drag strip nearly every time I'm there.

Thats sweet

Thread Information