Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: '94 Firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by chunkybs View Post
    so i'm wondering if the truck intake manifold would fit in my car if i cut the cowl. i already have the wipers out and a cowl hood, so both of those are not issues, and i've been reading that the truck manifolds flow better than any LS intakes. anyone know if it's just not possible at all or if i could if i shaved the top of the intake (remove the mounts for the cover and anything else that sticks up higher than needed) and cut the cowl to fit.
    Yes the truck intakes flow a little better, but not enough to hack up the car to fit it. Go find an LS2 car intake, they can be modded to flow as well as an LS6. On a 5.3, the power difference is pretty small anyway.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

the car is pretty cut up already. the cowl isn't really doing anything so really it's just weight on the car at this point. if it flows better, and i don't have to spend $300 on a new intake then it makes more sense to just trim a few inches IMO. i'd have to trim it eventually to put a cool intake on it someday anyway. As long as i don't have to notch the windshield i'm fine with it.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

the car is pretty cut up already. the cowl isn't really doing anything so really it's just weight on the car at this point. if it flows better, and i don't have to spend $300 on a new intake then it makes more sense to just trim a few inches IMO. i'd have to trim it eventually to put a cool intake on it someday anyway. As long as i don't have to notch the windshield i'm fine with it.
    What year 5.3 do you have and out of what?

Mike

it's a 99-03 motor, that's all i can tell.

is the truck intake taller than a carb'd LS? because people trim the cowls to make those fir pretty easily.

is the truck intake taller than a carb'd LS? because people trim the cowls to make those fir pretty easily.
    Not really taller in height, but it's taller further back, that's the kicker.

Mike

I see what your saying. Damn, I knew there was a reason I couldn't find it done anyplace.

I see what your saying. Damn, I knew there was a reason I couldn't find it done anyplace.

Yeah, the 4th Gen's cowl is why gm went to opti off the cam, no room to service a regular SBC dizzy. The truck intake is a lot taller. I am going to run a truck intake on my Caprice for the same reasons you want to (slightly better flow, cheaper/already have it) so I know how you feel. For a 5.3 though, a regular ls1 intake can be used no problem, and are relatively cheap. Ls2s can be had for decent cash, I got mine minus throttle body but with rails and injectors for $200 shipped.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by beertestr View Post
    Yeah, the 4th Gen's cowl is why gm went to opti off the cam, no room to service a regular SBC dizzy. The truck intake is a lot taller. I am going to run a truck intake on my Caprice for the same reasons you want to (slightly better flow, cheaper/already have it) so I know how you feel. For a 5.3 though, a regular ls1 intake can be used no problem, and are relatively cheap. Ls2s can be had for decent cash, I got mine minus throttle body but with rails and injectors for $200 shipped.

I bet you slow your car down by more then a 1/2 second going back to e.f.i........what don`t you like about your Prosystems carb ??

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCOWL-IMP View Post
    I bet you slow your car down by more then a 1/2 second going back to e.f.i........what don`t you like about your Prosystems carb ??
    No issue with the carb, I want to go efi for overall driveability. WOT its great, around town it eats gas. As for my comments above, just offering chunkybs some fitment info for his project.

1/4 mile times, they are less important to me than driveability. As for a-b comparison, I killed my motor remember? The next motor is only a 5.7. It'll be carb to start (time factor), but I still want to go efi eventually. I might be able to compare then. The 5.7 motor is something I am putting together so I can drive the car this year, just been travelling too much to work on it.

Mike

Thread Information