Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I May Be Crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    The woodgrain does add a little flair!!!! Stain and appreciate!
    I'm going to paint this one flat black. If I don't build something out of aluminum next go round, I will either stain the wood or cover it in carpeting.

Last night I picked up a set of RCAs from Scott (thanks again) and got them labeled an ready. The power/distribution block showed up today so I was able to get my layout finished.

Tomorrow I'll head to a friend's shop and get busy with painting the amp board and the rewire process. If I'm lucky it will be making noise by late afternoon.

Man what a day! I got started a little later than I wanted, but the removal and install process went pretty well. I was a bad girl and skipped lunch, and I felt it later in the day.
    My thought process for today was to re-route/run wire as I was removing the old amps. I also put the car back together as I was finishing up the routing of wires. This haunts me little bit because I forgot to run the remote wire for the processor. I'll get it installed later.
    This is what I had around mid-afternoon:

My original plan of reusing some factory cables proved to be more trouble than they were worth. Thankfully I had Knukonceptz wire left from removing the Focal amp I was running.
    Everything is installed at this point:

Today's goal of getting all of the drivers working was accomplished.
    I didn't get any tuning done because I didn't read the manual for the processor and I spent some time talking with my friend before I left.
    Tomorrow I'll get some tuning done.

Well after little more than a year, I finally found someone local that would teach me about using fiberglass. The day started with laying tape. LOTS of tape.

After the base layer of tape was laid down, out came aluminum foil, some spray adhesive and the thick plastic sheeting.

Now this is where things got real interesting for me. Jay mixed up the resin and started to lay the fiberglass mat. Holy buckets is this messy! I had no idea just how messy this process was going to be. Now I do...LOL This was taken after the first layer was laid down.

Then more layers:

Finally the mold was ready to come out.

This is where we stopped for the night. Hopefully later this week we can meet up to finish up the process. I really hope we can have it finished before Friday because I have a car show at work and then of course Saturday I'll be out on Woodward with a few of you guys and gals. I'll add more photos that I took with my other camera.
    After seeing and learning how this process works, I think I'll just take my truck to Jay at CarTunes in Pontiac when it's time to swap out the hideous audio system in it.

Fiberglass is a love/hate thing. Results are great but its hell to work with

I got this update yesterday. Wednesday we will finish up the last little bits of stuff and get it in the car.

Finally some decent progress. I used a piece of wood for most of the front, because I needed it to be flat to clear the hinge, and I was worried I didn't have enough mat to do a full 'glass front. Much easier to keep uniformly flat that way.

Then I did a little work with the router and some filler and got a shape I like.

I tried to do some different elevations and lines to break it up. Especially since it's getting carpeted.

I also kept a slight curve around the ring for the woofer.

Now I think I need the car to blend the edges, and figure out where to put the terminal plug. I'll also need the woofer to figure out where to drill the mounting holes and put the T-nuts in.

The inside of the box will get some STP deadener as well.

Jay

Nice work, something i've never done!!

Any specifics on the noisemaker?? Pics?
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Nice work, something i've never done!!

Any specifics on the noisemaker?? Pics?
    It's a 12" Ground Zero Hydrogen subwoofer. I'll have installed in the new box pictures Wednesday. Until then here are the Ground Zero specs

Well I met up with Jay today to finish up the box build. First up was to test fit the box since so much was done while it was away from the car and checking to see where filler was needed. So far so damned good.

After the filler was added, Jay got busy sanding down some of the high points.

Then the box went back into the car for another test fit.

This is the final shape of the box, and it's ready for a hole to be added for the quick disconnect.

Now that that's done it's time to carpet the box.

Damn that box looks freaking awesome! Jay you do some great work.

Now that it's carpeted, the quick disconnect was installed. Sorry, I didn't get any photos of the screws holding the fitting to the box.

The moment of truth:

This box couldn't fit any better! Now I feel the need to redo my amp rack.

Jay I can not thank you enough for all of the work you did. I learned a lot, and believe me, I know that I don't want to work with FG on a regular basis...LOL

Thread Information