Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and what am i doing wrong?

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    They must have a lot of pent up energy. Are they getting regular walks or trips to the dog park? Is your yard fenced in so they can go out and play?

I'd start with morning walks of at least 30 minutes.

This
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Forum Member

Labs are chewers. Frozen Kong toys-plug the hole with peanut butter so they have to work to get the treats out of the middle. Maybe a tug-of-war toy they can share with each other to keep both busy at the same time.

We play chase the smelly old sock for 15min every morning before work.

haha, thanks for the response guys. i have an acre of land with an underground fence that they run every morning for 30-40 mins before i leave for work. i have 10-15 chew toys out. ive tried the crate training but i feel bad leaving them cooped up for 8 hours while im at work.

they love staying out all day in my back yard which i have no problem doing, but winter times comming and they need to be inside. they also get so dirty from being outside all day that they cant free rome the house then.

I can see hating leaving them crated for 8 hours, I would too. Personally I don't think I'd have a dog if someone wasn't home all day to let them in and out. But that's what you're going to have to dog most likely if morning exercise isn't working.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    I can see hating leaving them crated for 8 hours, I would too. Personally I don't think I'd have a dog if someone wasn't home all day to let them in and out. But that's what you're going to have to dog most likely if morning exercise isn't working.
    All my dogs have loved being crated, except the bloodhound. Make them cave-like with blankets, that helps. My current ankle biter goes to his crate in the morning when we are about to leave. Don't make it a punishment to go on there, and they will grow to like it. My old chow-lab mix (we called him a Chowbrador) used to go lay in his crate when he felt like it, even when we were home.

If you have a mudroom, a strong baby gate might be all you need when they get older, but crate training has always worked for young dogs in my house.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouspete View Post
    haha, thanks for the response guys. i have an acre of land with an underground fence that they run every morning for 30-40 mins before i leave for work. i have 10-15 chew toys out. ive tried the crate training but i feel bad leaving them cooped up for 8 hours while im at work.

they love staying out all day in my back yard which i have no problem doing, but winter times comming and they need to be inside. they also get so dirty from being outside all day that they cant free rome the house then.

Have to remember dogs aren't people. When you crate train a dog with a crate that isn't too big, (crate should only be big enough for the dog to stand and turn around, not big enough to walk around and pace) it's like a den for a dog, and they actually enjoy their crate. They feel comfortable in there.

They rip shit up when their humans are gone mainly because they are anxious. And having too much space can actually make it worse, most dogs thrive when given boundaries. Also it helps keep them from getting into and chewing things that could cause them harm.

My Huskies go into their crates in the morning, and if I'm late leaving stare at me wondering why I'm still home keeping them awake. Once a dog takes the crate as his/her own they will just sleep all day, maybe chew on a kong if you leave them one.

Quote Originally Posted by beertestr View Post
    All my dogs have loved being crated, except the bloodhound. Make them cave-like with blankets, that helps. My current ankle biter goes to his crate in the morning when we are about to leave. Don't make it a punishment to go on there, and they will grow to like it. My old chow-lab mix (we called him a Chowbrador) used to go lay in his crate when he felt like it, even when we were home.

If you have a mudroom, a strong baby gate might be all you need when they get older, but crate training has always worked for young dogs in my house.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

they dont mind being the the crates, i just say cage and they both go to their cages no problem. maybe im trying to let them free roam a little early?

ill go back to the crates i suppose. was just hoping i could get them to be able to stay out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouspete View Post
    was just hoping i could get them to be able to stay out.
    not going to happen man .,. 2 main reasons , there young and you have 2 of them , crate them now then when they get a little older try the free roam again

Thread Information