Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and what am i doing wrong?

if you crate them just make sure that you do not use it as a place for them when they are bad. you want it to be their safe place where they can go and they can feel like they are safe. that is how you get them to go in it on their own

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouspete View Post
    ill go back to the crates i suppose. was just hoping i could get them to be able to stay out.
    Oh they are crate trained? Then yes it's too early. It'll prob be years before they are good to free roam. All dogs are different, but you may have to crate until 2+, especially chewers, maybe 4yrs old haha.

Quote Originally Posted by VTRauder View Post
    Oh they are crate trained? Then yes it's too early. It'll prob be years before they are good to free roam. All dogs are different, but you may have to crate until 2+, especially chewers, maybe 4yrs old haha.

yes, i crate trained from when they were 5 weeks, i just was feeling bad and attempting to do the free roam thinking things would get better, but i trust you guys since these are my first little guys so its all a new experience. back to crates.....lol

Forum Member

now that I think of it , my moms had luck with a dog that had separation issues , try turning on a radio or tv when your gone , preferably in another room with a shut door so they cant put 2 and 2 together and figure out the noise is coming from the box lol ,., it gives them the sence that someone is home , you could even go as far as recording yourself for a day then when your gone just play the tape back so they hear your voice ...... worth a shot man

Quote Originally Posted by sn95_311 View Post
    now that I think of it , my moms had luck with a dog that had separation issues , try turning on a radio or tv when your gone , preferably in another room with a shut door so they cant put 2 and 2 together and figure out the noise is coming from the box lol ,., it gives them the sence that someone is home , you could even go as far as recording yourself for a day then when your gone just play the tape back so they hear your voice ...... worth a shot man

i leave my tv in the living room on.....if i leave a tv in the other room on, they claw and dig into the drywall to get to the otherside......ask me how i know. lol

Maybe 900 toys led them to believe that the living room was the fun zone? my lab did that to the basement carpet.. I mentioned to him that he can be the new rug if he does that again.... he wised up.. He was crate trained then he was kitchen trained, now house trained.. Gradual territory growth.. If he ever has an accident, it's on the basement tile floor.. pretty smart.

They have a lot of energy, that's for sure. I'd keep them outdoors a few days a week till winter, maybe just sunny days..
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Maybe 900 toys led them to believe that the living room was the fun zone? my lab did that to the basement carpet.. I mentioned to him that he can be the new rug if he does that again.... he wised up.. He was crate trained then he was kitchen trained, now house trained.. Gradual territory growth.. If he ever has an accident, it's on the basement tile floor.. pretty smart.

They have a lot of energy, that's for sure. I'd keep them outdoors a few days a week till winter, maybe just sunny days..
    maybe i can try this, let them hang in there room with the door shut all day then maybe access to both their room and kitchen, then living area....

Might be a few years to get them to stop the "I wanna dig a fuckin hole, man!!!!" Stage.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

they dont mind being the the crates, i just say cage and they both go to their cages no problem. maybe im trying to let them free roam a little early?
    Probably a little early. Heck current ankle biter is 3 and we still crate him.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

maybe i can try this, let them hang in there room with the door shut all day then maybe access to both their room and kitchen, then living area....
    Hollow doors? They are easy to dig through, ask MD how I know. I now have polished aluminum diamond plate 2' up the basement door. Bloodhound was in the basement and wanted out. Replaced the door. Then she decided she wanted to be in the basement, door#2. Up went the diamond plate, and the STEEL baby gate went up to the mudroom.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Thread Information