Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Legal advice about merit raises being taking away at a union shop

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    My typical work day consists of 10-12 hours, while only being paid for 5-6. I also transport kids....in a pressurized tube....going 500-700 mph....38,000 (7.25 miles) in the sky.

That's exactly 2/3 of the problem - deregulation, and passengers wanting to fly from Maine to Cali for $100 roundtrip, with first class seating and free bags.

The other 1/3 is pilots themselves. I work for a "regional" airline; We do flights that are typically over 1,100 miles, all the way to Mexico from Detroit, into the NY, Chicago, Texas, etc airspace. Yesterday, I did Sioux Falls - Minneapolis - Austin Tx - Detroit. Sometimes we do Atlanta - Detroit - Atlanta; Major hubs. About 50% of the flying for Delta, American, United, and US Airways is done by the regional airlines. But us pilots want the quick upgrade to captain for higher pay, and hopefully move onto a major airline faster with the pilot in command time. So they will go to shitty airlines, with shit contracts, shit pay, shit work rules to just get ahead, when that just fucks over everyone else in the industry - But it's ok, because they get theirs.

That goes the same for other industries - People take jobs just to have a job, and they are thankful for it. My fiancees dad worked at a machine shop, and he was laid off. They recommended him to a recruiting company to find a job, and they did - At the same company he was working at, but for less pay. He is still making good money, just not what he was originally making. Tactics like this allows companies to shed employees and wages, then hire people into a job at lower pay, while the executives take larger bonuses and pay. Then people are happy just to have a job, even though their salary is lower than it was. This is why the average US income has gone down, and even significantly more down when you factor in the inflation adjustments.

In bold is what infuriates me! I am all for make a lot of money but don't fuck over your workers and your consumers for a extra profit percentage. Seriously you are making billions what more do you want? Greed pisses me off so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    I know plenty of pilots. I work at Willow Run. Yeah, it's a tough racket to break into, but... as you said, the payoff is there if you stick it out. You knew that going in, right?

To complain about it now is like a 2nd year lawyer/doctor/etc complaining about the cost of school, the hours put in as a new employee, the low-ish starting wage, etc. Yeah, it sucks, but 5-10-15 years in, it gets progressively better and you far surpass the rest of the working world. Again, this is something you knew about going in and complaining about it now just sounds like the same argument as the fast food workers...

I don't understand why people think they should just be able to complain their way to more money just because they don't like how much they currently make.

Again, you knew this was how the game worked when you signed up.
    I did, but there is so much stagnation within aviation, and corporate flying that has gone away, that there are people stuck at the regionals, as first officers for almost 8 years now. Captains who are stuck here for life and cannot move on. Sticking it out means nothing in this field.

Glad I make what I do and with out a union.... OH and for 89-lx....... MX-_FB.jpg
    motown muscle southern chapter "we find rust free material for the michigan masses"

08 Mustang GT broke but beautiful

99 saturn SL1 with the air box removed for POWER!!!!
    Ford Chrysler or GM it doesent matter to me as long as its domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    I know plenty of pilots. I work at Willow Run. Yeah, it's a tough racket to break into, but... as you said, the payoff is there if you stick it out. You knew that going in, right?

To complain about it now is like a 2nd year lawyer/doctor/etc complaining about the cost of school, the hours put in as a new employee, the low-ish starting wage, etc. Yeah, it sucks, but 5-10-15 years in, it gets progressively better and you far surpass the rest of the working world. Again, this is something you knew about going in and complaining about it now just sounds like the same argument as the fast food workers...

I don't understand why people think they should just be able to complain their way to more money just because they don't like how much they currently make.

Again, you knew this was how the game worked when you signed up.
    Exactly... Nobody held a gun to anyone's head saying you have to take this career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    Exactly... Nobody held a gun to anyone's head saying you have to take this career...
    I guess I should have just kept cutting grass at the golf course like I did in college and then complained that I've been there 20 years, I can't raise a family on $8/hr and demanded $20/hr
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by ASRoff View Post
    Glad I make what I do and with out a union.... OH and for 89-lx.......
    Love it. There is only 3 things needed to make an airplane fly.....pilots, mechanics, and money.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    I agree. But remember, that regionals were only "suppose" to be a stepping stone, for just a few years until you moved into the majors. But due to 9/11, economy collapse in 07-09, federal rule changes, etc, it has created a lot of stagnation in the field. The field is turning around, but I can't say the same as for all other fields unfortunately.

Thread Information