Three different vehicles!

91 Spirit R/T
    95 Ram
    74 Charger

Spirit First:

Old post from Xceed:
    My 1 of 434 White 1991 Spirit R/T as it came home in Oct of 2011

Specs:
    -2.2L 16V DOHC Chrysler/Lotus Engine 224hp/218tq Stock (Fastest production sedan in 1991)
    -
    -Stock FMIC
    -Catless exhaust 2.25"
    -A568 Getrag Trans
    - ARP Head studs
    - Stock Garrett TB03 Turbo (45/48/.48AR) compared to Holset HE351CW (60/60/9cm3)

Pretty much stock other than the Head studs, clutch was pretty fresh. Overall a pretty solid car, rust free.

Performance: 14.1 @ 97mph

First on the list was a set of +40% Injectors (Stock is 34.85 lbs/hr @55psi, new ones are 52 lbs/hr @55psi), a Stage 2 Tune from Cindy @FWD Performance, and a 3 Bar MAP.

The Voltage regulator ended up being bad in the computer that got sent out so the car sat for 2 months while FWDP dragged ass in replacing it. Not that I was going to drive it during the winter anyway. Upgraded to Stage 4 (20 psi)

Next on the list was modified valve retainers that relieve some of the sprint tension, these cars are known for eating cams from the high spring pressures. These are stock retainers that are machined by Jackson Simler.

Some of the lifters had come apart during the retainer install so I opted to upgrade them all ($430 for lifters, ouch).

After the lifters went in, I noticed some of the intake cam had worn past the hardening. Was planning on doing FWDP Stage 1 Cam's anyway, the timetable just got pushed up.

Buttoned the car up and started on the appearance mods:
    New Wheels:

Replaced the amber markers with semi clear corners, tinted the leftover reflector. Replaced the turn signal with a clear one as well.

Before:

After:

Got rid of the non-stock spoiler (from a shadow maybe? or aftermarket) and one coat of tint on the tails. The picture makes em look dark because the sun was going down. You can still see some of the amber/red but it makes it less of an eye-sore.

Before:

After:

Replaced all shifter bushings with Derlin, and at the same time upgraded to a Fidanza short throw. Major upgrade mainly because the original shifter bushings had fallen apart.

Fresh tint from Detail Express done shortly after.

After that was done it was back into the engine.

First up was removing the stock exhaust, it went down to just over 2" diameter at some points. New exhaust is 3".

Comparison:

Downpipe is different for the new turbo. That is a Jackson Simler Holset downpipe for using an HE351 on a Tiii car.

Holset goodness:
    Left turbo was modified by Jackson to go on the R/T. But the exhaust wheel was bad (didnt inspect it well enough)
    Middle Turbo was FWDP's backup for her R/T, I bought to put the housing from the Jackson Modified one and eventually rebuild the first one. Right turbo was a package deal with a Holset HE341 that both need some cleaning and possibly a rebuild.
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Not a great picture but this is what happens when you let something go through your turbine and then you wonder why it doesnt build boost like it used to. Most common damage on these holsets also after talking to some people running them, you can see the ends of the fins with a flashlight. They are about $130 from BAE to replace. Rebuild kit is another $100.

With the balance shafts removed these engines tend to uncover the pick-up while cornering. These is one of the ways to fix that issue.

You cant see it in the pictures but there are 2x one-way doors under the baffling that keeps oil near the pickup during cornering. Next time I pull the pan ill snap a better picture.

EDIT:

Forgot I also picked up a 4th HE351CW, this one is an OEM replacement from Mahle not sure how it compares HP wise to a OEM Holset. Did I mention is it brand new?

74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

I ended up selling the 18's and had the stockers refinished by Warhawk, I think they should have come this way stock:

Bob @BAE Turbo just sent me an upgraded HE351 that has a bigger Compressor and Turbine wheel. the new Holset is 63/64/9 instead of 58/59/9.

The cylinder head is at Modern to get looked over and a couple common issues with the 16v Lotus heads addressed (Aluminum core plugs welded in instead of the stock steel ones), a little port work and O-Rings. I need to get the shortblock pulled and into the machine shop, I've got H-Beam rods, 4 bolt mains ready and just need to order pistons in whatever oversize it will need.
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

95 Cummins:

I picked it up earlier in the same year as a DD and to tow occasionally since the Dakota behind it wasn't up to the task. It had a nasty cap on it when I picked it up. It was the start of a long road.

I bought my first house between buying the Cummins and the Spirit so I actually had a place to put them all!

First up was switching out the faded headlights and I starting plasti-dipping some of the panels:

It got a little out of hand:

Next the exhaust had to go:

5" Straight pipe:

Added a 5" Resonator later because the drone was crazy at 70mph:
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Cool Spirit RT project! How is your tune working out? Seems like the hardest thing on these old tech mopars matching up the parts so they are happy together. Real simple computers I imagine.

I need to get my Omni sorted and this thread is an inspiration. Thanks for posting. I'm a fan.

Spirit:

Quote Originally Posted by sardeanie View Post
    Cool project! How is your tune working out? Seems like the hardest thing on these old tech mopars matching up the parts so they are happy together. Real simple computers I imagine.

I need to get my Omni sorted and this thread is an inspiration. Thanks for posting. I'm a fan.
    Sometimes I wish I had left well enough alone =)

Cindy @FWDPerformance got me setup with her Stage 2 Computer that worked with the stock TB03 turbo, +40% Injectors (52 lbs/hr @55psi), 3 bar map and it ran great. I had issues with the wastegate sticking open and messed around with a bit. Changed all the vac lines to a block and silicone lines. And still had a couple issues, I ended up finding the cam problems while that was happening and ended up deciding on swapping to a Holset. So I've got a new Stage 4 ECU from Cindy, a flashable ECU from http://www.boostbutton.com/store/ . Launch Control from ND Performance.

I may end up scrapping those ECU's for Megasquirt or BS3 since the new intake uses a Ford 70mm TB, i'm not sure if they will give me decent part throttle response. I know if I mess around with the boostbutton stuff enough I can get it running (this was his old car actually) but i'm not sure it'll be worth it.

What year is the omni? There is a lot of info at Turbo-Mopar.com or give Cindy at FWDP a call and she can get you sorted out. Like you said if you get a good recipe it will all get along without too much headache.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ is what got me hooked a long time ago.
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Cummins:

5" Installed and kicks out right behind the rear tire:

not sure how many i had before this picture but you can see the stock setup underhood:

Hard to see it here but the filter was ditched for a BHAF, which is just a giant air filter. The tappet cover was replaced with a plate to siffen the valvetrain. It got 5x.012 injectors along with a 4kGSK and 60lb Valvesprings and the fuel stop plate was removed.

At some point it got lowered in the rear, 20's and tow mirrors. I sold the 20's the next year because they rubbed and I had other plans that would require different wheels(sneak peak of the Charger with fresh paint behind it):

Roll pan also from LMC Truck:

Now the truck needed a trans upgrade, I picked up a 04 Blazer Xtreme to daily while I worked on collecting parts.

It will never be this clean again, glad I took a picture.
    Upgraded trans with a bunch of upgrades: Billet Flexplate, Triple Disc Converter, Aermet Input Shaft. Upgraded planets, more clutches, etc etc.

Ditched the stock trans coolers (one was coolant/transfluid crossover that gets in the way of twins) for a pair of these:

Found out the read diff had been swapped at some point, limited slip is always nice. Added a LPW Racing cover also:

Timing was bumped to 17*, removed the stock lift pump in favor of an electric AirDog 150gph pump, New shocks all around.

This is pretty much how it sits. I've got a spare head at Modern Cylinder getting O-Ring'd so I can eventually do head studs and ill swap the 60lb springs and these new Ti retainers so it can spin to 4k without worrying about dripping a valve:
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Quote Originally Posted by Kryp2nitE View Post
    Spirit:

Sometimes I wish I had left well enough
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ is what got me hooked a long time ago.
    Oh yeah! That Reliant was bad ass!

My Omni is a 1986. It's a Frankenstien, built motor, a568 and computer from Cindy but not sorted out at all. Someone else put it together. I'm with you on the Big Stuff3. Do you know anything about the Omni that ran at Drag Week last year? Was making 550ish at the tire and running 11's. I wonder about his set up?

Quote Originally Posted by sardeanie View Post
    Oh yeah! That Reliant was bad ass!

My Omni is a 1986. It's a Frankenstien, built motor, a568 and computer from Cindy but not sorted out at all. Someone else put it together. I'm with you on the Big Stuff3. Do you know anything about the Omni that ran at Drag Week last year? Was making 550ish at the tire and running 11's. I wonder about his set up?
    Do you remember what color it was? Reeves' is black, Lengel has an electric blue TIII omni. Carroll has a different blue TIII omni. I think those guys all run BS3, not sure on Reeves' though.

The a568 is the good trans to have, how is the bobble strut setup? I thought they were different on an L-Body? 2.2 or 2.5? Do you have any pictures? I really don't know the 8v stuff so well but I know a little.
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

Looks like it's Reeves. This is the article I saw.....

http://bangshift.com/general-news/vi...-to-the-tires/

Thread Information