Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: need to look into my house

One thing I don't understand about many of these ghost stories, why is a Catholic priest always consulted to "rid" the premises of the ghosts? Why not an imam, rabbi, evangelist preacher, or shaman? To add to it, how do they know some physics defying entity exists in the first place? How do they know they got rid of it? How does holding up a cross, long a symbol of Paganism, all of a sudden scare off ghosts? What about the prayers used in conjunction with the cross? Who went through all of the trial and error to find the ones that "worked"? There are many contradictions inherent about ghosts. Are ghosts material or not? Either they can move through solid objects or they can slam doors and throw objects. Logically and physically, it's one or the other. If ghosts are souls, why do they appear clothed and with soulless objects like hats, dresses, or glasses? What about ghost ships and ghost cars?
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    One thing I don't understand about many of these ghost stories, why is a Catholic priest always consulted to "rid" the premises of the ghosts? Why not an imam, rabbi, evangelist preacher, or shaman? To add to it, how do they know some physics defying entity exists in the first place? How do they know they got rid of it? How does holding up a cross, long a symbol of Paganism, all of a sudden scare off ghosts? What about the prayers used in conjunction with the cross? Who went through all of the trial and error to find the ones that "worked"? There are many contradictions inherent about ghosts. Are ghosts material or not? Either they can move through solid objects or they can slam doors and throw objects. Logically and physically, it's one or the other. If ghosts are souls, why do they appear clothed and with soulless objects like hats, dresses, or glasses? What about ghost ships and ghost cars?
    Or ghost riders in the sky?
    Ghost peppers?

I think the explanation you gave is very informed and interesting. But would you pass everything weird off to these points? Do believe that some places can be a source of evil?

I can tell you that walking through the Dachau concentration camp is definitely a hair raising , eerie place. Is it only human psyche that plays these tricks?

As for why only the "Catholic" flavor of prayers and ridding I'm not sure either, always thought that was strange myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RSWANNABE
    But would you pass everything weird off to these points? Do believe that some places can be a source of evil?
    I'm not one to put much merit in the good/evil type of thing. Either can have a very diverse meaning depending on which culture you subscribe to. To the Hindu, we are evil because we butcher cows, which they worship. To the Native American, we are evil because we nearly exterminated them and overran their lands. Sure, we can all agree on many things that may be good or evil in the classical sense, but it's not as much black and white as it is shades of gray. It's more of a cultural predisposition than anything else. Most of what we know as good or evil is learned and not instinctual.

Quote Originally Posted by RSWANNABE View Post
    I can tell you that walking through the Dachau concentration camp is definitely a hair raising , eerie place. Is it only human psyche that plays these tricks?
    I'd think so. The human brain works through referencing previous experiences, either our own or somebody else's that you've heard or read about. From your experience walking through Dachau, your brain was quietly referencing other snippets you've heard over time, in order for you to make sense of what you were seeing. The human mind can be very empathetic, making it easy to place yourself in the shoes of others simply by referencing their experiences you've read about. It's almost as if you can close your eyes and actually be in that same place during the same time period.
    Last edited by Tin; 10-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information