Thread: Wastgate Sizing

Default Wastgate Sizing

Hey Guys

I sold the Blower and picked up a HX-55 and I'm looking for guidance for Waste gate size. my setup is a 408w about 9:0:1 I'm going to spin the motor to 6500 rpm and looking to make 650ish and run boost to 17 psi if needed. I'm going to run 100% E-85 and possibly a Water-to-Air intercooler. I was thinking a 60mm or possibly 50mm. I've heard of guys running twin 38's what's the advantage of that?

Let me know what size you think guys!
    64 Mercury Comet
    Boosted 408w

Twins would allow controlling boost consistency better. Less likely to spike, lessen the fuel enrichments at throttle lifts, manage each bank more efficiently pending placement.

A single 46mm or 60mm would suit you well properly placed. Although it also depends on what the turbine housing flows on the turbo, if the backpressure is high the Wastegate may not release enough flow to control boost to a low level if you are wanting to be able to dial boost down low on the street. I'm sure you already researched this, but you want the gate as close to the merge as possible and with it inline of exhaust flow ideally symmetrical with the merge. I'd say use a single Precision 60mm. Call Jon at Huron Speed, he can get great deals on them

Thread Information