Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique home features

Default Unique home features

So, with all of the house work I have been doing I stopped and took a look at what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of. My doorbell chime does not work (needs a new plunger) I am going to rebuild this and keep it in use. Hell, the house was built around the doorbell chimes, literally. It was original in 1954 (when the house was new)

Im just looking to see what other stuff you guys have found in your homes.

Either in plain sight or maybe something you found during renovations

doorbell.jpg

My living room and kitchen counter share a 1/2 wall. My couch and kitchen counter and back to back. In the corner of my kitchen I have a useless space under my counter. Its where my stove and kitchen sink meet. I cant have a cabinet in there because I would have no way to access it.

So I knocked a hole in the wall in the living room at access the area in the kitchen from the backside. I through my home theater stuff in there and ran the wires all slick like.

When you look at my tv on the wall its just the tv and my center channel. No cable box, no wires, no reciver...

The rest of my equipment is in the rafters of the basement. The shelves are in a little of disarray but im always moving stuff around.
    Last edited by 347convert; 10-25-2014 at 02:18 AM.

I have a brick wall in my living room, it's one of the things that sold the wife and I on the house. Interesting part entire house exterior and this wall is reclaimed fire birch from a old foundry in Detroit, either GM or ford original owner can't remember.

Last edited by moneypit; 10-25-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

Heres a few I've done to the house since I bought it two years ago...

Basement make over...

From this..

To this...

Finished'ish...

bar1.jpg

Its much further along now, bars all stained and all the tops are epoxied with high gloss amber. The bar is much more stocked, pretty much can make any drink you'd expect to order in a upscale bar out somewhere. I'll get a better pic one day.
    Last edited by igotaneed4speed; 10-25-2014 at 07:06 AM.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Not necessarily a feature... but I found the original 1950 blueprints to my house stashed in the bar. Getting them framed and hung soon...
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

my house backs up to one of the 2 subdivision parks kinda like having a 3 acre back yard that I don't have to mow

Thats a pretty cool basement. I like the use of the poles for more seating.

Nice thread. Below is a link to pictures of my basement project which took me 3 years to finish, but I saved money and appreciated it much more by doing it myself. I used Catia V5 to design the floor plan which allowed me to visualize it better in 3D.

A few things I did:
    • mount projector behind the wall for the 9 1/2' TV screen (I intended to create a round wood trim piece).

• wrapped the only visible support pole in the bar - fabricated a square wrap out of 8 pieces of wood.

• copper counter top - Wife & I had many conversations while beating the top with a hammer to get the look.

• carried the counter top bar around the corner for food serving during parties - The raised corner with tile is so I didn't have to have a seam in the copper. I was able to end it under the wood trim.

• mounted round heater vents in the ceiling so I could turn off sprinkler valve - By doing that, I was able to take down, reach up, and turn off the sprinkler valves. I wanted to drywall as much of the ceiling as possible to make it an extension of the house.

• used an old dresser, a surface mount sink in the bathroom, & door knobs as the feet, 2 x 6's/4's for the top.

• angled the drywall below the windows to get more light

• used 1 x 4's to create my face trim boards for the counter/bar tops - I had to run it through the table saw 3 times to get the "L" shape w/chamfer I needed. You can kind of see them in the 100_1640 picture & installed in 100_1646 & 100_1648 pictures.

• created & utilized built in shelving

The area behind projector/components is the sump pump and X-Mas storage.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing

Thread Information