Thread: My 2002 Camaro Cam Swap/Build Thread

Default My 2002 Camaro Cam Swap/Build Thread

Figured now that I'm getting close to wrapping up my cam swap, I'd start a build thread for the car. It all started when I was telling my bro (slowwssix on here) about me missing my old LS1 car and trying to talk him into buying one to replace his 04 Cobra as a toy that he sold a few weeks previously. So I started shopping around for LS1 powered vehicles within the local area to send him links to, to check out. We ended up looking at a handful of cars, and I came across this car on a dealership lot. We ended up finding a white 2001 WS6 that he bought, with a ms4 and some other bolt ons. Though I still had this car in the back of my mind, because it's my favorite color, and was so low mileage and clean. So I called the dealership and talked to them about it for a bit, and sort of jokingly made them a low ball offer. I wasn't expecting them to accept, and tell me to come get it, as my offer was several thousand less than their asking price, so I said what the hell, if this thing is as clean and mint as they say it is, for that price I CANT go wrong. So I drove a hour and a half up to the dealership to look at it. It turned out to be everything they said, and I bought it the next day.

So here I am, with a MINT 02 LS1 4l60e auto car, black ebony interior, 39k miles, and clean enough to eat off of. Initial plans were to do a few bolt ons, gear, converter, exhaust, and be done. But after constantly listening to my bro's MS4 WS6 I decided I just cannot live with a stock cammed vehicle any longer. So having driven the car only once or twice, I began to tear it all down.

So far I have done a 3.73 Motive gear, Perfect Launch brace/cover, ARP 3" wheel studs, and brand new rear brakes. I also fitted the car with a set of Weld Racing Weldstar RT wheels wrapped in MT rubber. I also sold my hood and bought a VFN "wide" Sunoco hood, in a bolt on version. I ran this hood in the pin on version on my previous car, and liked it a lot, but didn't want to mess with the pins this time around. I've also just about wrapped up my cam swap, and after the converter goes in, it will be ready to be tuned!

Mods will be as follows:

Thunder Racing TREX camshaft
    PRC .650" spring kit
    Comp Cams 7.400" pushrods
    Melling High-Volume oil pump
    Speed Engineering 1-3/4 Longtubes with 3" ORY
    Mufflex 4" single cat-back (still need to purchase)
    MSD plug wires
    NGK TR55 plugs
    ARP fasteners through-out
    Converter (still need to purchase)
    dyno tune!

Interior:

Engine bay:

Rear end all done, wheel studs installed.

Shot of the new rear tires, and diff cover. Painted black to blend in a little better. Still rocking 30 day tags with first new mods lol.

New hood on. Shot it flat black for the time being. Paint will come soon. New wheels also on all around. Fastest looking stock LS1 on the planet at the moment!

Pulled the car in the garage, ready to tear the engine down.

Valve covers off, valve train removed, intake off, water pump out, PS pump un-bolted. Man, what a PITA that power steering pump bracket is!

Cylinder heads pulled! This will make the new valve train easier to install, and I am also replacing the stock lifters with a set of new Morel lifters.

Oil pump swapped over to a high-volume Melling unit. That oil pump pick-up tube bolt is always a good time!

New Camshaft in, new double roller LS1 timing chain installed, cylinder heads cleaned up and set on the block ready for re-install.

New 7.400" comp cams chrome moly pushrods installed.

Cylinder heads fastened down with new ARP hardware, and LS6 intake back on.

Rocker arms re-installed and torqued back down.

Starting to look like an engine again. Front end buttoned back up. Drive belt is not back on yet because I still have to seat the balancer the rest of the way on, but need a second hand to lock the flywheel so I can proceed. Then replace the stock bolt with a ARP unit. From here on out, after the balancer, it will just be a radiator, coolant, and set of headers away from thunder in the pipes.

My brand new stainless steel 1-3/4 Longtubes and stainless 3" off road Y-pipe from Speed Engineering. These look to be very good quality for under 400 bucks shipped.

Also had a good buddy of mine lay some glass down on my new VFN cowl hood while I am waiting to wrap up the cam swap. Hood cam out flawless, and color looks to be spot on.

At this point, I just have to get the balancer seated the rest of the way on, and install my radiator and longtube headers, and it will be ready to fire up. After that, I need to install a converter, and it will be ready to tune. Stay tuned for more updates!!
    2014 Shelby GT500 - 2015 Scat Pack Challenger - 1969 Olds Cutlass S - 1969 Plymouth Barracuda - 1967 Camaro - 1959 Bel Air

LOL...

I had to check the date on this twice. I thought it was the old build thread. This car is going to be 10x better than the last one with all the experience you have from the last couple cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayscoupe View Post
    Will someone please lock this fucking thread.

2014 Shelby GT500 - 2015 Scat Pack Challenger - 1969 Olds Cutlass S - 1969 Plymouth Barracuda - 1967 Camaro - 1959 Bel Air

Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    LOL...

I had to check the date on this twice. I thought it was the old build thread. This car is going to be 10x better than the last one with all the experience you have from the last couple cars.
    I miss my old one dearly, but this one is much cleaner, hopefully it will run as good!

Why not do a little portwork while the heads were off????

Will this be sprayed?!

Can you leave the idle at 600rpm!? That has some CHOP to it! Should run good with a Yank 4000!
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Forum Member

Beautiful car! Ive always wanted a 4th gen SS.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Why not do a little portwork while the heads were off????

Will this be sprayed?!

Can you leave the idle at 600rpm!? That has some CHOP to it! Should run good with a Yank 4000!
    I don't think it's worth the money to port these heads. I wanted to put some CNC PRC 5.3 heads on it, but don't have the extra cash laying around to blow on this car right now as I'm trying to put my racecar back together.

That header setup seems to good to be true AND they look good.

Speaking of Mufflex....have you seen anyone run a pipe UNDER the axle?? I seen a guy run a single 5" pipe under the axle and out the back and he claims its not the lowest part of the car. This is a turbo thirdgen on thirdgen.org.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    That header setup seems to good to be true AND they look good.

Speaking of Mufflex....have you seen anyone run a pipe UNDER the axle?? I seen a guy run a single 5" pipe under the axle and out the back and he claims its not the lowest part of the car. This is a turbo thirdgen on thirdgen.org.
    I was a little leery at first ordering those headers because STAINLESS longtubes AND a stainless Y pipe for 389.99 sounds a little...okay a LOT too good to be true, but after reading everyone's reviews on LS1tech I decided to take a chance and order a set. I couldn't believe how good the quality was, and they fit up in the car better than my old ceramic coated Pacesetters which were twice the money and rusted out in a year.

And I personally have not heard of that. From what I read the 4" mufflex system fits over the axle just fine, so hopefully that will hold true!

As soon as I get bored with my 3 valve car I am moving on to one of these.

Thanks for the motivation
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayscoupe View Post
    Will someone please lock this fucking thread.

Thread Information