Thread: Tig Pros, Chromoly tubing

Default Tig Pros, Chromoly tubing

Going to be welding a chromoly cage in my car soon. Using a Miller Diversion 165, what tungsten and cups would you recommend? I've been using ceriated for both aluminum and stainless, should I just roll with that?

As long as the tubing is cleaned any cup/set up would work. That being said, I would use a #5 cup assuming your going to be in tight spaces. Ceriated tungsten should be orange or gray I believe. For a miller diversion I would just grab some 3/32 2% red thoriated tungsten. Hopefully your using 100% Argon as well. I would also use either 1/16 or 3/32 filler , depending on how tight your fit is. Remember, your only trying to make 1/8" welds. Not much bigger if you can help it.

I use Red 2% Thoriated at work and Grey 2% Ceriated at school. Use them both on Stainless, Carbon and Aluminum. I have found zero difference except that the Thoriated is very slightly radioactive. Thats the sole reason most shops are moving to Ceriated. Both weld exactly the same in my humble opinion.

Cup size is a personal preference. Go with what you have or whats comfortable. I would recommend a gas lens though so you can pull the tungsten out just a wee bit for the out of position welds. Makes seeing the weld puddle much easier.

Thanks guys. I've got the red thoriated and orange ceriated. I'll play with both on some test pieces. Yes I'm using 100% argon. I believe a #5 cup as well. I was wanting to try the gas lens though

Gas lense is perfectly fine to use. I use them whenever possible at work. It does make the cup bigger in diameter though, so it might not be possible to use everywhere depending on your cage. Try and stick the tungsten out about half inch to 3/4 inch and about 30lbs of gas.

Forum Member

I use a gas lens and blue tungsten 2% lanthenated I believe it works great point stays sharp.

Thread Information