Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: what the hell is the Hold up on the 2015 F150???

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

$1000 for a taillight... for fuck's sake.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    The ford is a beefier truck over the GM and taller and just more truck like (big ring gear axles biig axle housing and beefier frame) for towing trailers and using it as a truck, thats why they have always weighed more.....no way the gm is some optimized steel thing, just a steel empty shell (tiny axles tiny frame) (as low as most cars too)
    Ford uses the 9.75 rear axle if I recall, and GM offers both a 9.5 and 9.75 axle depending on configuration. But hey, what do I know?

8.625" til last year
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

8.625" til last year
    Ford or GM?

Quote Originally Posted by cjmatt View Post
    You guys act like Ford having aluminum body panels is a new thing...

Expedition (hood & liftgate)
    Explorer (hood and fenders)
    F-150 (hood)
    Lincoln Navigator (hood & liftgate)
    Lincoln LS (hood, fender & trunk lid)
    Ranger (hood)
    Lincoln Town Car (hood)
    GT (body panels)
    Mustang GT (hood)
    Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    and those are all bolt on panels, they get dented they get replaced,

I don't work there anymore so I guess no harm in talking. I worked for Troy design, the division ford bought.
    We did small production run prototype alum body panels.

We had a design team, die design team, model shop, form shop, foundry, machine shop, die cutting dept (me to start) stamping, assembly, paint and Qc. All alum. Never saw steel in there once. And this was in 1998 when I started there.

I saw hoods and doors and roofs trunks, naturally but also body sides, I personally cut dies for Volvo body sides, Avalanche truck body sides, Jaguar body sides, VW and ford. The body side dies were awesome. Took forever to cut.

Alum isn't new to anyone, ford was just the first to go all in

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Ford or GM?

GM
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

The ford is a beefier truck over the GM and taller and just more truck like (big ring gear axles biig axle housing and beefier frame) for towing trailers and using it as a truck, thats why they have always weighed more.....no way the gm is some optimized steel thing, just a steel empty shell (tiny axles tiny frame) (as low as most cars too)
    Heavier does not mean better. Both brands have the pretty much the same capability, test and develop on the same mountain passes and deserts, are rated to the same SAE specs. The long term reliability ratings, resale values, and independent ratings put the Silverado slightly ahead of the F150 comparing V8 to V8. Overall though they are pretty comparable. I make the V8 distinction because the TTV6 reliability ratings are significantly worse, so much so that it's called out as a separate truck, likely not to skew ALL F150 to a poorer rating. I'm not sure it's a fair distinction to do so, if all light duty F150 was lumped together, the reliability rating is upwards of 20% lower than GM products, but at least the reader can make the distinction between ALL F150 and just the Ecoboost. Silverado has historically held better resale value than F150, and the GMC even higher. Cost of ownership rating, historical, not predicted, is comparable. Customer observed fuel economy is better with the GM products, and I am very specific about customer observed vs. window sticker labels. Real world data. You can argue all you want that the extra beef is good, but there is no data to support that. Google it, the data is out there. So yeah, the GM IS an optimized steel shell. I never needed additional ground clearance to tow, I actually put the deeper chin spoiler on my Sierra Denali to pick up a little more MPG (21 highway at 78 AVERAGE speed BTW). All of this said, I still think F150 is a great product. Some like GM, some like Ford, it's as simple as that.
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

GM
    Dude, you're wrong. I work in the plant that makes the rear axle every day and there was never an 8.625 option for GM. Hell, their front axle is an 8.25 design. GMT trucks, and K2 as well, have been 9.5 or bigger.

Last edited by dline; 01-29-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

still laughing about optimized steel frame......
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Thread Information