Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 6.0 turbo build advice

Default Need 6.0 turbo build advice

Hi fellas and Happy New Year!

Over the winter I am building a new turbo setup for my WS6. Right now I have an LT1 in there with a single T4 On3 76mm .81 A/R, intercooler, wastegate, and no BOV. We have no tracks up here to speak of but a LOT of curvy roads which beg to be shredded. I want an all around, Hella Fast car that takes pump 93 Octane. I want more so.....

.....right now I have a nice 6.0 LQ4 on a stand with 317 heads that I would like to transplant this spring with a new turbo setup. I did not build the current setup so I'm not up on all the latest data, but the LT1 has to go, so since I have another huge tear down coming I might as well do it right in the first place. Since I spent all of Fall unfucking this disaster, I have improved the chassis, front end, all fab work and there is plenty of room in the compartment for either twins or a roomy single setup (which is what I have now...)

My questions are this:

-What should be done to the LQ4 prior to installing? (I have the f-car stuff (pan, intake,etc))
    -Single or twin turbos? Which is better for me?
    -Injector specs? Size? The current inj are supposedly 60# Mototrons, can't verify that...
    -Cam, specs? I get the larger LSA, but that's about it.
    -trusted brands of turbo, bov, wastegate and suggested sizes.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Teeth.
    67 Chevy II, Mothballed.
    96 WS6-- RESCUED, de-raping in progress...

Bitch, you know I'm glad to be back.

your best bet....sell it and go find that white badass GT you used to have. Glad you got it back....and you might want to change your sig.

whats up Brian?
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Take a few and check out what Hot Rod did to test the limits of a stock LS http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-bang-theory/
    Mike

Depends on your definition of fast. stock 6.0 cam only can get you pretty far. Throw on a 7675 turbo from precision or turbonetics with some 80lb injectors. You could be anywhere in the 6-800 whp range easily. Tick, LJMS, Speed Inc and a few others have shelf turbo cams. I'd go with Tial products but you cant go wrong with JGS or Precision. Then again, there are a few site sponsors who may be of better help

Have a turbo kit? Contact Huron speed for turbo and kit. They are actually having a group purchase right now

Your LT1 project sounds a lot like mine. Full of lots of $$$$ and restless nights.

Sounds funny but if I had it all to do over again I would sell it and get a newer platform, every generation it gets easier and cheaper to go fast. Nothing wrong with F bodies and I'll be keeping mine, but it's my best advice.

Back to your original question - we need more details on intended use and goals. Got a 4L80E and stout rear end in there yet?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible
    2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

-What should be done to the LQ4 prior to installing? (I have the f-car stuff (pan, intake,etc))
    (Pete- change the connecting rod bolts, main studs, and head studs with good MLS head gaskets. good to go for a while.)

-Single or twin turbos? Which is better for me?
    (Pete-smaller twins if you want it to spool quicker for the corning roads. the issue with twins is you have alot more piping and a ton of heat.)

-Injector specs? Size? The current inj are supposedly 60# Mototrons, can't verify that...
    (Pete- Call your tuner and ask him what he recommends. these guys know what combos like what. this also will effect drivablity so you may want to stick with the 60's...just depends what your duty cycles at.)

-Cam, specs? I get the larger LSA, but that's about it.
    (Custom turbo cam for your set up or a LS9 or LSA cam....custom is always the best route though.)

-trusted brands of turbo, bov, wastegate and suggested sizes.
    (Pete- Precision is like the standard these days. If you can get a deal on something else you may want to go that route...all depends on the budget. as far as size goes....for a single, id say a 76mm or 88mm with a 1.06-1.12 AR exhaust housing or something close. For twins id say something around a 60mm for each one and something around .80 AR exhaust housing.)

The biggest question to answer alot of these questions more clear is how much boost do you plan to run?

You do not want a high hp turbo car to tear up windy roads with... Build a head/cam 6.0 in the 600hp area and enjoy!

Maybe my setup isn't optimum but my boosted car goes from soccer-mom engine to 600hp in less than a second and in no way can I tip into that on a curvy road... Even a 315 drag radial spins.

What's wrong with the current combo? Did you drive it more than a few tanks? None of us have ever really checked it out and I've seen it a LOT.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    You do not want a high hp turbo car to tear up windy roads with... Build a head/cam 6.0 in the 600hp area and enjoy!
    this x1000

if you're building a car to enjoy in the corners i'd keep it NA. less heat, less stuff to go wrong, no lag, less weight. Strano Suspension is good stuff for turny f-bodys.

keep us posted on your progress! i'm currently swapping a 5.3 into my '94.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Too late, already got the turbo boner. In addition to the curvy roads we have some LONG straightaways and I cannot get enough of the looks on people's faces when I pass them at 14psi laughing my ass off. The issue with the current setup is that despite my pouring a ton of time and money into this disaster it still is a not what I really want.

I bought this car because I couldn't afford an LS1 model. Right after I bought it Darko puts up a 6.0L motor and Dave Y. buys it and sits on it for 6 years. Then he puts it up for sale right after I get my car back and now I have both car and motor together after 6.5 years of waiting. Never before has a better "Good Karma" metaphor been personified so I intend to build this fucking car if I have to be buried in it.

i know that at this point I would probably be better off shitcanning it and buying another but it's now become a vision quest. I appreciate the advice. Oh, it has a 4L80e and a Ford 9" with 3.25's and shit tires. The LT1 has LS1 coil conversion half assed somehow that is most likely extremely unreliable.

PS- looking for LS1 f-car auto wire harnesses: engine and interior dash wiring. Mines fubarred...
    67 Chevy II, Mothballed.
    96 WS6-- RESCUED, de-raping in progress...

Bitch, you know I'm glad to be back.

Thread Information