Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did SOS screw up or did the guy I sold my truck to not put it in his name?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    If it is in your name. Go get it!

Like other's said, if it is in your name and he is driving it, you are opening yourself up to major liability.
    if he kills someone with it and it's not insured and in your name....

Hopefully kovacs32 did as the State of Michigan requires and
    made a copy of the title transfer (filled out title with new owners
    info on it) so he could prove in the event of an problem, that he
    is not the owner & not responsible.

Always make a copy of that filled-out title at the time of a vehicle sale!

I have everyrhing filled out, copied and notarized by my credit union.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    Hopefully kovacs32 did as the State of Michigan requires and
    made a copy of the title transfer (filled out title with new owners
    info on it) so he could prove in the event of an problem, that he
    is not the owner & not responsible.

Always make a copy of that filled-out title at the time of a vehicle sale!
    Sadly, that will do nothing for you. I know from personal experience.

Vehicle 1: Sold while living in Michigan to a person in Michigan. Had copy and even went to SOS with them. The counter asked me to step away if I am not a part of the transaction, so I couldn't confirm anything. Person I sold vehicle to, multiple tickets and parking violations. They never transferred the car into their name.
    *** Went to police, showed them info, said I am screwed. Told me to go to SOS. Went to SOS, they said, pay my tickets (was about 160 at this point). So I was screwed. At the time I asked how do I fix it. No one had an answer.

Vehicle 2: Gave my sister my car when I lived in Kentucky. Kentucky requires plates to travel with the car. Michigan says I take the plate. So Plate traveled with car and destroyed once it hit Michigan. But she never transferred it into her name. So multiple tickets, impound, and other violations.
    *** was cleaning up my credit when I found I owed city of Detroit over $1000. At this point I called the city, they said I am screwed and the tickets are mine. I think I got lucky as the lady then told me I needed to call her friend in Lansing to find out how to get the cars out of my name and basically no one owns them.

I ended up having to create documents giving vehicle details and my details stating that I no longer own these vehicles and that I want my information removed from them via SOS. Yes I paid the tickets and no, there is nothing I can do about it as I can not prove anyone else got these tickets. As for the first one, when I called the SOS, they said they would have never asked me to step away, yet, that's exactly what they did.

Best thing to do, go the Lansing route and get vehicle out of your name, ASAP!
    Do the Cat Daddy!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zarken View Post
    Sadly, that will do nothing for you. I know from personal experience.

Vehicle 1: Sold while living in Michigan to a person in Michigan. Had copy and even went to SOS with them. The counter asked me to step away if I am not a part of the transaction, so I couldn't confirm anything. Person I sold vehicle to, multiple tickets and parking violations. They never transferred the car into their name.
    *** Went to police, showed them info, said I am screwed. Told me to go to SOS. Went to SOS, they said, pay my tickets (was about 160 at this point). So I was screwed. At the time I asked how do I fix it. No one had an answer.

Vehicle 2: Gave my sister my car when I lived in Kentucky. Kentucky requires plates to travel with the car. Michigan says I take the plate. So Plate traveled with car and destroyed once it hit Michigan. But she never transferred it into her name. So multiple tickets, impound, and other violations.
    *** was cleaning up my credit when I found I owed city of Detroit over $1000. At this point I called the city, they said I am screwed and the tickets are mine. I think I got lucky as the lady then told me I needed to call her friend in Lansing to find out how to get the cars out of my name and basically no one owns them.

I ended up having to create documents giving vehicle details and my details stating that I no longer own these vehicles and that I want my information removed from them via SOS. Yes I paid the tickets and no, there is nothing I can do about it as I can not prove anyone else got these tickets. As for the first one, when I called the SOS, they said they would have never asked me to step away, yet, that's exactly what they did.

Best thing to do, go the Lansing route and get vehicle out of your name, ASAP!

I've never heard of this happening (not getting it corrected), let alone 3
    times to the same person! I have owned a LOT of cars in my life. Not saying
    this couldn't happen, but when things like this have happened to me in life,
    I've fought it & went to war over it.

When people tell me "there is noting you can do" and "that is the end of it".
    That simply signals the start for me!

My first car was sold and the new owner never registered it. My mom (car was in her name) got a ticket for illegally parked. She wrote a letter to the court, included a copy of the bill of sale (had their drivers license info on it), and never heard another word from it again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    I've never heard of this happening (not getting it corrected), let alone 3
    times to the same person! I have owned a LOT of cars in my life. Not saying
    this couldn't happen, but when things like this have happened to me in life,
    I've fought it & went to war over it.

When people tell me "there is noting you can do" and "that is the end of it".
    That simply signals the start for me!
    Sadly, it's a battle of attrition. Do I spend $2500-$3500 in order to not pay $1200~, or do I just pay it and send the letter. Between the travel fees and Detroit's lovely slow court system, I cut my loses at the low amount. She did say I could still go to small claims to get reimbursed, but that too would cost me more money than I would actually get in return. Between travel, hotel, and court fees. And trying to get blood from a stone is impossible.
    Do the Cat Daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    My first car was sold and the new owner never registered it. My mom (car was in her name) got a ticket for illegally parked. She wrote a letter to the court, included a copy of the bill of sale (had their drivers license info on it), and never heard another word from it again.
    I didn't know I had these tickets either until I did a detailed report of my credit. That's when they showed up.
    Do the Cat Daddy!

It's very possible SOS screwed up... They have done it before with our vehicles... You will like everyone else has said go there and find out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Thread Information