Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got expired insurance ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    Why did the cop stop you?
    to write a ticket to justify his overtime i would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    "insurance certificate in your vehicle or carry it with you" would lead me to default to an insurance card that is available 24/7. Unless you plan to toss your phone in your glove department and have it charged from being dead upon need, I would error on the side of caution..
    Depends if the phone app is considered to be a "certificate"

But it "can" be carried "on you" as well. If someone else is driving your car, you can screenshot the app and text it to them I guess (assuming an electronic copy was legal)

I got a ticket for no proof (driving a friends car) when I was a kid. Ever since, I get two copies of my proofs and two (or more) copies of my registrations. One copy goes in MY wallet, the other copy goes in a business card holder thingy and sits above the drivers visor. That way "I" am always covered, along with any that uses my vehicles. My truck also has registrations for every trailer I own. All the Trailers have the registrations laminated and places some where in/on the trailer. That ticket cost me a few hundy back in the 80's.....no way I was going to do that again.

All this doesnt help your situation, but might be helpful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    Why did the cop stop you?
    Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    to write a ticket to justify his overtime i would guess.
    Mine too.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

You don't have to go to court for this type of ticket. You do have to go to the courts clerks counter or the police department where the ticket was given to you and show them your copy.... they will sign you off on it.

From the Progressive site........Note: Keep paper ID cards available at all times; Michigan has not yet approved electronic ID Cards as valid proof of insurance. Download the document to the .pdf reader of your choice to store and view it when Internet service is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    You don't have to go to court for this type of ticket. You do have to go to the courts clerks counter or the police department where the ticket was given to you and show them your copy.... they will sign you off on it.
    Not really. When I was first beginning to date a former ex-gf, I got off I-696 onto Southfield Rd south bound. I didn't realize that the far right lane ended (I never go that way, I lived in Sterling Heights and just moved back to this area from 2.5 years on the west side of the state), and I gave it some gas as the light changed to get ahead of the cars. Problem is, when I hit the intersection, the car raised up some, and when it came down, the tires chirped a little bit. I never broke the speed limit or anything, but there was a Lathrup Village police officer in the left lane I didn't see. He pulled me over, and stated that I performed an unsafe start. Thing is, I didn't do what I did from a start, I was already rolling, and saw it as I made the turn and just gave it some more gas, but with the gearing, it sounded like I was giving it more than I was.

Well as I stated before, I was going to meet this girl for the first time, and I just cleaned the car out. Well my dumb ass left the old insurance in the car, and threw out the new copy by accident. Car was insured. Not a sign off ticket, had to go to court. At the court, the officer informed me that he will tell the judge to get rid of one of the two tickets, not both. It's either I pay the unsafe start ticket, or I pay the no proof of insurance ticket. He said he will not allow the judge to do both, and if I argued to get both dropped, he would press for the judge to enforce both tickets.

For the TL;DR crowd: Pulled over for a dumb BS reason and given 2 tickets, one for expired paper. Not a sign off. Required to go to court, and extorted for at least 1 ticket so the city got their money.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    [I]Insurance Requirements

The state can't require something and then exclude your response
    after the fact, if that preclusion wasn't stated beforehand.
    Yeah, and say that like you mean it.
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    Not really. Required to go to court, and extorted for at least 1 ticket so the city got their money.
    Is is a sign off, if he got no other ticket.
    He made no mention of any other another violation or notations on the ticket.
    That's why they write any other violations on the bottom of the ticket (such as speeding or no seat belt).... if you decide to challenge it your challenging both.... if you decide to pay it you pay for 1.
    They will do this with speeding all the time. Write you for 5 over, but at the bottom of the ticket say you were going 15 over. If you fight it, your fighting the 15 over.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    Is is a sign off, if he got no other ticket.
    He made no mention of any other another violation or notations on the ticket.
    That's why they write any other violations on the bottom of the ticket (such as speeding or no seat belt).... if you decide to challenge it your challenging both.... if you decide to pay it you pay for 1.
    They will do this with speeding all the time. Write you for 5 over, but at the bottom of the ticket say you were going 15 over. If you fight it, your fighting the 15 over.
    I am dealing with the exact same ticket he has, Sterling Heights won't sign off the ticket, I have to take my proof of insurance before the justice whenever I get my court date. Exact same reason to actually, had my proof on my phone wouldn't accept it.

Thread Information