Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow! question

Forum Member

Default wow! question

im switching back from Comcast to WOW! ,., hate Comcast with a passion ( 2 bills in 1 month , service sucks , Netflix is almost unwatchable because it has to buffer all the time ) and I have 30mbps internet

anyways I had wow about 1 year ago and somehow ended up with a box that never got returned to them , never heard anything back from them about it so I guess they don't want it to bad lol , so if I get WOW! with there basic 10-15 channel service would I be able to use this box and get premium channels ? would they be able to tell somehow ?

Forum Member

anything ?

Yes, they activate the box on their end. It won't work unless they never shut it off, and even then chances are slim.
    Mike

Club Member

Yeah for sure they would know. And you better hope they never remember u have it. I smashed one of their hd Dvr boxes one time. It failed to record a game I wanted to watch real bad. They charged me $730 for that box. And I even tried buying one off ebay to get it cheaper and it was still over $600.

My mom recently moved and had her old wow box in her possession while her new house was being prepared so she was without wow service for close to two months. She got a bill that said she owed $1700 for 3 boxes and they were the old POS boxes. When she had wow come out to install at her new house they took the old boxes and cleared her debt when they updated her to the new stuff.
    Mike

Forum Member

after reading online a bunch im still torn ,., some say it work then some say wow shuts you off because they can tell your using another box .... I do find it hard to believe that wow using there 1980s technology and cable boxes would be able to tell if I was using there 10-15 channel cable box or there 100+ channel box , isn't the cable card inside the box and that's what gives you your channels ?

maybe tin can chime in

A Cablecard is only for decrypting HDTV from the provider. There's a serial number on it that's activated at the provider end to ensure you get the channels you're paying for. Any channels you receive isn't a limitation of the hardware, but of the signal the provider is sending you. If the box/Cablecard you have doesn't match with what WOW sent you, it won't work.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    A Cablecard is only for decrypting HDTV from the provider. There's a serial number on it that's activated at the provider end to ensure you get the channels you're paying for. Any channels you receive isn't a limitation of the hardware, but of the signal the provider is sending you. If the box/Cablecard you have doesn't match with what WOW sent you, it won't work.
    thank you for clearing that up .... I didn't think wow encrypted there channels thow , I remember once when they shut me off for a late payment all I did was bypass the box and hook up directly from the wall to the tv , had about 50ish channels ( of course I didn't have the use of the channel info or any of that ) , had to change the channel from the tv remote

I canceled my WOW TV subscription back a month ago and still get digital basic cable right from the wall. I just finished setting up my own DVR system a couple of days ago and now I'm good. $58 per month for 50/5 internet and "free" basic cable with DVR, can't beat it
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

that's another thing , the old wow box I have is a dvr hd , would I be able to at least utilize the use of that somehow ?

Thread Information