Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting My Camaro Painted - Advice and Lessons Learned Please

Default Getting My Camaro Painted - Advice and Lessons Learned Please

I'm planning to get my car painted in the near future and am looking for advice. It's a black '95 Camaro with black top. It's the first car I will have had painted before. I'll probably keep the car for life. The car has 39K miles and needs minimal body work. There are some ripples on the top of the quarter panels which are somewhat typical for these cars.

I'm considering about changing up the color completely to something else. I know some people here have a lot of experience with paint an painting cars and I'd like to learn from you on Dos and Don'ts and any other advice that could be shared to help make for a good result and avoid problems.

What kind of stuff do people commonly make mistakes on or popular misconceptions? Where do issues arise?

For example, if I have the car's color changed but don't pull the engine prior to paint will it look like crap? What do you recommend?

Also suggest colors you like or think would look good on this car.

Picture of the car:

1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible
    2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

If it's black the bodywork better be perfect or it's gonna show. If you're changing colors, consider the added labor doing the doorjams, underhood, etc.
    Mike

Cheap,Fast,Good Pick 2

if you are doing a color change, GUT the car interior and drive train

also the more you take off the less the shop will charge you and you will have less of a chance of tape lines

^^^^this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    Cheap,Fast,Good Pick 2

also the more you take off the less the shop will charge you and you will have less of a chance of tape lines

ding ding ding......

This is all good feedback, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    Cheap,Fast,Good Pick 2

When you say GUT the drivetrain, does this mean engine and transmission only, or pull the rear end (and K member) too?

I'm wondering if a roller is enough or does moving the car around like this become a big hassle or risk to the new paint?

I guess it's gonna get the test when the engine and transmission are re installed anyway.

Would gutting the interior mean removing the entire dash too?

as far as gutting how good of a job do you want? If its a complete color change, personally Id pull everything, fenders,doors, bumpers ETC

dash can probably stay

Don't forget wiring harnesses, etc.. brake lines if you really want to be ocd.

I've had a few black cars with show quality paint and I'll be the first to tell ya, keeping it nice the right way is a part time job. And forget parking anywhere near the masses, it'll be fucked up in no time.
    Even trying to park far away and walk, there's always that one prick that has to park right fucking next to you just to spite you because they're either jealous or they think you're not gonna bang their shit up either.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelinBubba View Post
    Don't forget wiring harnesses, etc.. brake lines if you really want to be ocd.

there's always that one prick that has to park right fucking next to you .

The more you take off the easier its going to be on the guy doing the paint work. Plus pulling the interior will help keep it clean and free of dust from sanding.

The end results on how you want it to look all depends on what your budget allows. Me personally if i was doing the work and you wanted a complete color change 100% including the engine compartment I would request the car with no motor or trans, leave all body-panels installed(fenders,doors etc..). Remove all of the lights and interior.

This will save a lot of headaches for the shop that is doing the work and plus you wont have to worry about the little things like overspray and pointing blame on little broken clips(it happens). Plus do you really want you mint interior just sitting in a dusty body shop?

Let the painter handle removing the body panels. Hes going to want to see how everything fits before its taken apart and note certain things that may need to be addressed before paint.

Just my $.02 and Im just going off of what I see on the t.v. like that overhaulin show. I have no real experience with this kind of stuff.

Thread Information