Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12v LED driver

Forum Member

Default 12v LED driver

Figured someone here would know what im asking for. I want to try and convert one of those 4ft led strips that some of us bought to DC 12v input instead of AC. So theoretically all I need to do is fine a DC input driver that is around 20w correct? I cannot for the life of me find anything. Either they say DC input but the picture shows AC voltage input. Any help would be great.

You should be able to use a 12V walwart, something like a laptop power adapter may work. AC is what goes from the power company to your house, the power supply converts AC power to DC to power your devices.
    '16 Fiesta ST

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371242968584...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

alot easier to install and designed for 12volt

You can also get programmable RGB LED strips for $5 to $10/m. Lots of people use them for ambilights around their home theaters and stuff, pretty cool.

Last edited by Tin; 03-30-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You can also get programmable RGB LED strips for $5 to $10/m. Lots of people use them for ambilights around their home theaters and stuff, pretty cool.
    I have some of these for above and below my kitchen upper cabinets. Menards had 16' kits on sale for $20 a couple of months ago. I think I'll use something similar in my enclosed car trailer for interior lighting this summer. I should have bought more kits when they were on sale.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    I have some of these for above and below my kitchen upper cabinets. Menards had 16' kits on sale for $20 a couple of months ago. I think I'll use something similar in my enclosed car trailer for interior lighting this summer. I should have bought more kits when they were on sale.
    That's a great deal. Menard's is supposed to open a store on Warren someday, I'll have to check because they usually have great sales when a new store opens.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

This is for an enclosed trailer as well. Maybe ill give the strip lighting a try. Id just rather have a nicer looking housing than exposed led.

I have a little adapter that puts out DC 5V @ 2A but i didnt want to try it and end up breaking a fixture.

Is there anything special about the LED driver or is all it doing is lowering the input voltage to something that the LED chip can handle?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post

Similar product that Id like to buy eventually.

http://lightpack.tv/

Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    Similar product that Id like to buy eventually.

http://lightpack.tv/
    Ah, didn't know there were products on the market. This shows you how to make your own http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...he-Raspberry-/
    '16 Fiesta ST

I need to close this thread before I redo my whole house in LED accent lighting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Thread Information