Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caution if you are considering an "authentic license plate" with the state of michigan

Quote Originally Posted by svtserpent View Post
    It also said the in the paper work that the LEO is supposed to call the station and concact Lansing first before doing anything. So if the police officer knows his stuff...... it SHOULD be all good.
    Thats the point... they wont know to do this until you are already pulled over and you hand them the blue strip of paper advising of this. This is not disclosed to you until after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by svtserpent View Post
    They also say in the paper work the vehicle is only supposed to be driven during or on the way to special events.
    I have that covered. There is an event almost every day of the week starting in may.

Quote Originally Posted by Justindwright View Post
    Thats the point... they wont know to do this until you are already pulled over and you hand them the blue strip of paper advising of this. This is not disclosed to you until after the fact.
    Your right, they left that part out!
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf

The reason these are not in the system is that the same letter/number combinations can be used. My plates have two letters and four numbers. This types of plates were used from the 1930's until 1969. Newer plates that are three letters and three numbers are still used (see the new bridge plate). If these plates were in the system, the confusion would be worse.

Arrow Hmmm...

"....Authentic license plates must be registered by mail
    and are not handled by Secretary of State offices. To obtain a registration...."

Quote Originally Posted by Justindwright View Post
    I sent in the paperwork to get a blue 87 michigan plate registered on my lincoln under the authentic plate system. What they do not tell you until you pay the fee and wait for a few weeks is that the authentic plates are not maintained in the "LEIN" system (law enforcement information network).. So if a cop is behind you and runs your plate, it will come up as "no record found". I have taken my car out twice and got pulled over BOTH times because the plate did not come back. The blue plate with 87 tabs automatically throws a red flag, then it not being in the system almost 100% guarantees a traffic stop. Seems like a huge hassle to me and very misleading by the state. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
    I support the LEIN system, this is funny.

Thread Information