Thread: front coil spring install.

Default front coil spring install.

hey guys I am trying to replace my front coil springs. doing a 4cyl to 8 cyl swap on my 87 LX. I got the 4 cyl spring out. trying to get the 8 cyl spring in. I tried 2 different spring compressors. this:

this one won't work because the lower control arm and k member is in the way

and this one won't work because the threaded rod in the middle is too long can't access it from the top. once the spring is compressed the rod protrudes out to far. and if I turn it upside down it protrudes out the bottom hole and I can't bend it in far enough because the hole diameter is too small and won't let the rod go to the angle it needs to place it in the top seat.

what have you guys done to get the spring in?

undo strut at the bottom, slide spring in and use a floor jack to jack it back into place but becareful

Usually I loosen the lower control arm bolts at the cradle to give it more swing, once it's down I use a couple big prybars to pry it in, put the top in and pry the bottom in. Then as stated use a jack to bring it all together.

If its similar to an 2001 Mustang which I think it is, I usually undo the strut bolts like mentioned above or separate the ball joint/ strut. Push the control arm down, throw the spring in and use a jack to on the control arm to compress the spring and reassemble.

Thread Information