Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Little exhaust smoke

If its not sharing the radiator, do a leak down test both compression and cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    Oil cooler integrated in with radiator?
    No. It is separate.

Then start testing.

Compression didn't show much. 197,195,200,196,194,195,197,193. Carb wide open, fuel disconnected, all plugs out. Let needle jump 6 times.

How is a leak down test conducted. I ordered a tester last night. Will it tell me it has a blown head gasket or cracked block/head? Is there a point to the leak down test if it already passed a compressikn test? Can oil get into the radiator any other way than bad head gasket or cracked head/block. Water pump?intake?

It will tell you a bit more than peak combustion chamber pressure. It will tell you if your valves are seated and sealing as well as ring sealing.

You put the engine at TDC (IIRC), both valves closed and you apply air line pressure to the hose threaded into the spark plug hole. If the needle drops (and your engine is positioned correctly) then you will have an air leak in the intake, crank case or exhaust which will tell you where to look.

Maybe you have a leak at the intake or cracked block, being the worst case scenario. Im willing to bet that there is a head gasket that got dinged during the build

Leak down testing the cooling system and also leak down comp will provide more than a basic cranking comp test.

You'll need to be taking recordings of results as they present themselves.

All of the cylinders were between 8-10% on a leak down test. I ordered a leak down tester from summit at 9pm last night and it was at my door at 2:00. Damn good service there. I'm not sure r those numbers good or not. ?

Its been a while since I have done one. I know that compression test numbers need to be within 10% of each other. I think leak down numbers need to be within 10% of each other as well.

Maybe the engine had a blown head gasket before and got the radiator nasty, it wasnt properly flushed and its still there?

Cooling system leak down test will direct attention to other areas that the cylinder leak down test might not present.

Thread Information