Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Little exhaust smoke

Well today I started pulling accessories etc off. When I pulled the alternator I saw oil an oil Leak at the timing cover to block. All of the bolts holding the water pump were very loose. As soon as I touched the first bolt coolant poured out. Either they weren't torqued enough or all loosened. They were all barely over finger tight. Almost the entire top of the cover gasket was soaked. I'm hoping this is my problem. I will finish pulling the pump/cover in the morning. I will inspect the gaskets and cover for cracks. Any tricks to sealing this up. Loctite? Permetex? Thanks all for the advice so far.

I use a gasket and permatex. I like to coat all of the bolts in sealant too. Loctite might not be a good idea due to the nature of the crappy front cover design and the bolts wanting to seize in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 347GT View Post
    Test for combustion gases in radiator negative. Cooling system pressure test indicates a very slow minimal loss of pressure. Maybe a needle with over 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this indicates a blown head gasket or what. I guess the fact that there is oil in the radiator shows some sort of problem. I did put an 8oz bottle of KSeal in it when it was reassembled 1,000 miles ago but it sure seems like oil to me. It doesn't overheat Natalya at 180* all day long. There is no indication of poor running at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 347GT View Post
    Well today I started pulling accessories etc off. When I pulled the alternator I saw oil an oil Leak at the timing cover to block. All of the bolts holding the water pump were very loose. As soon as I touched the first bolt coolant poured out. Either they weren't torqued enough or all loosened. They were all barely over finger tight. Almost the entire top of the cover gasket was soaked. I'm hoping this is my problem. I will finish pulling the pump/cover in the morning. I will inspect the gaskets and cover for cracks. Any tricks to sealing this up. Loctite? Permetex? Thanks all for the advice so far.
    With the description of how the cover was, the cooling system pressure/leakdown test has me confused with your current findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    With the description of how the cover was, the cooling system pressure/leakdown test has me confused with your current findings.
    Same here. Seems like it wouldve been pouring coolant out of the cover during the test.

It lost pressure about 1/2 psi over 30 minutes. Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that the amount of oil in the coolant could get in thru the waterpump , probably head gasket. I'll find out today.

Thread Information