Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011-2015 Duramax LML Pros/Cons

Quote Originally Posted by Hugger Z View Post
    I've been researching these too. I know the LB7 (2001-mid2004) was the problem engine with injector issues, etc. What about the LLY (mid2004-2005)? Is that also one to stay away from? LBZ (2006-2007) was only in the classic body style. LMM was (2008-2010), LML(2011-2015).

The newer trucks are still rediculously expensive. I was told to stay 2007 or newer but many in my price range are a little older than that. So just wanted to wrap my head around exactly what to stay away from. Was it just the LB7? Or should I watch out for the LLY too? Found a few trucks with the LLY but don't want to buy something that will turn into a headache at some point. Thanks guys!
    LBZ is the one I would own if I could take my pick.(Pre-DPF and 6 speed) The LB7 is out due to the injector issues,(seemed to have the best mileage though when they're right) the LLY may have some injector issues but injectors are easy to replace compared to the LB7.

I have an 2004.5 LLY with just shy under 100k, no injector issues so far but the balance rate on #7 has always been on the edge since I bought the truck with 70K. I've read about injector connector issues on the LLY failing more than the actual injectors it seems.

I think all diesels will be a headache at some point! Maintenance and repairs will cost more but who cares, diesel trucks are just cool. I'm always surprised how much that comes up on an automotive based site where we spend ridiculous amounts on our cars.
    84 Mustang Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnCobra View Post
    I wanted a diesel for years, but repair/ maintenance cost big $$$. Pretty much any of the Big Three diesels will eat a trans if you put a high HP tune on it, even the almighty Allison. 3 gallons of synthetic oil for oil changes, few grand when injectors die, emissions equipments failure...
    No different than my mustang having a PA Super comp C4 and a Chance converter in it, when you make more power you break shit. Just depends on what you want to spend your money on. Keeping them at the stock or near stock power levels the Allisons seem to hold up fine.
    84 Mustang Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousrick View Post
    No different than my mustang having a PA Super comp C4 and a Chance converter in it, when you make more power you break shit. Just depends on what you want to spend your money on. Keeping them at the stock or near stock power levels the Allisons seem to hold up fine.
    I am assuming that mustang isn't your daily driver which a lot of people do with diesel pickups. Too many people throw a bunch of power at them and then complain when they break

If you cant afford to break it, don't bend it....

ALL of our fleet diesels have lived with mild Hypertech tuning. Usually a 100hp/200tq addition. The 7.3's were great with an 80hp Hypertech tune, The LBZ's are safe and fun with a Stage 3 Hypertech. A dozen trucks, zero problems.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelinBubba View Post
    Just lease an F150, beat the shit out of it then give it back and get another. Dollars and sense wise that's probably your best bet.
    This. ^^^

What are you going to do with it that you want/need a diesel? For the 6-7 weekends per year that I tow to the racetrack, my EB F150 pulls my enclosed trailer great.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    This. ^^^

What are you going to do with it that you want/need a diesel? For the 6-7 weekends per year that I tow to the racetrack, my EB F150 pulls my enclosed trailer great.
    I traded a 2004 F250 6.0L PSD with a tune and other mods for my 2013 F150 3.5TT EB. Same HP/Tq numbers. Faster/quieter truck. Smoother ride, better fuel economy, cheaper to fill up etc. It pulls like the diesel did but I cant haul as much weight, which is no big deal since most towing is jet skis and occasional large items that fit in the bed

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousrick View Post
    LBZ is the one I would own if I could take my pick.(Pre-DPF and 6 speed) The LB7 is out due to the injector issues,(seemed to have the best mileage though when they're right) the LLY may have some injector issues but injectors are easy to replace compared to the LB7.

I have an 2004.5 LLY with just shy under 100k, no injector issues so far but the balance rate on #7 has always been on the edge since I bought the truck with 70K. I've read about injector connector issues on the LLY failing more than the actual injectors it seems.

I think all diesels will be a headache at some point! Maintenance and repairs will cost more but who cares, diesel trucks are just cool. I'm always surprised how much that comes up on an automotive based site where we spend ridiculous amounts on our cars.
    Thanks Rick! 2004-2007 seem to be in my price range at the moment. We will be needing it to tow a gooseneck horse trailer and my wife plans to get back into 3-day eventing so at some point this thing may be towing many weekends of the year. And I get to use it for stuff too. Would most likely be my DD and random tow vehicle the rest of the year. I'm just looking forward to getting into something bigger than this 96 Saturn I've been driving.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    If you cant afford to break it, don't bend it....

ALL of our fleet diesels have lived with mild Hypertech tuning. Usually a 100hp/200tq addition. The 7.3's were great with an 80hp Hypertech tune, The LBZ's are safe and fun with a Stage 3 Hypertech. A dozen trucks, zero problems.
    Sounds good Denny! I would like to keep it fun & reliable so we don't have to worry about it. Looking at a couple of LBZ's that I found. We'll see what works out.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

I have a decent 2008 Sierra 2500HD with the LMM 6.6 that is deleted with a tuner if you are looking for a truck I'd let go cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStoj View Post
    I have a decent 2008 Sierra 2500HD with the LMM 6.6 that is deleted with a tuner if you are looking for a truck I'd let go cheap.
    The white one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    The white one?
    Yup, I drove it for about a year.

Thread Information