Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UAW contract negotiations

Rich I'm sure that was very scary at the time. But reading your story just now and picturing you driving thru the crowd pumping your fist cracked me up.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I sure as hell wouldnt want be be heading in to work through the picket line.....

So 19/hr doesnt seem too bad, all things considered. If you area Tier 2 worker, can you move to Tier 1 after so much time on the job? If so, that seems to be a good start.

The MF'er about it is, that there are a TON of people who would leave their current *job* (maybe paying close to Tier 2 pay) just to move into a *career* at the same pay scale they are already making. IMO a strike at this day/age seems a bit over the top. There are plenty of unemployed people who would gladly walk in and do some of these jobs for what they strikers are currently displease with. That alone should be enough to take what the companies have offered and work from there for the next negotiation.

I have done my best to stay out of this debate....

While I understand that it would suck to be a Tier 2 worker, working next to a Tier 1 who makes more money.

Not being a Tier 1 or 2 worker, this is how I see things and others have mentioned a few of the same points.

When the Tier 2 worker took the job, they were never told/promised that they will ever be able to make the same wage as the Tier 1 worker.

AUTOMATION - Companies have invested large amounts of money, so that its not necessary to have highly skilled workers. The Tier 2 work environment is way different than what it was during the Tier 1 days.

Most Tier 2 workers have it made in the shade. Automation has made even the toughest of jobs so easy that almost anyone can do the work.

I personally believe that MOST Tier 2 workers are paid a fair wage. They knew what they were getting into when they accepted the position. You want to make more money, bust your ass and move up, go back to school and get a new better job elsewhere.

So if the UAW (Useless And Worthless) is going to force a significant wage increase, then guess where that cost is going to end up. More than likely passed onto the customer. What happens if sales go down. How many co workers could loose a job? Is it ok, as long as its not you?

I will say that I can't blame the Tier 2 workers for fighting for more money. Who of us wouldn't take a nice fat raise....
    Last edited by Jasper302; 10-06-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    they wont lose that much, the union pays them Strike pay.
    LOL, it's $200/wk. Less than unemployment.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper302 View Post
    I personally believe that MOST Tier 2 workers are paid a fair wage. They knew what they were getting into when they accepted the position. You want to make more money, bust your ass and move up, go back to school and get a new better job elsewhere.
    Their pay really isn't that bad at all, especially when you consider that other occupations such as EMTs and police officers start out near the same, and oftentimes less. They are making a livable wage. They are also paid overtime. If a guy is working 60 hours per week on Tier 2, he is clearing almost $60,000 per year. I know some people with degrees in salaried positions that work the same kind of hours for less money.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Their pay really isn't that bad at all, especially when you consider that other occupations such as EMTs and police officers start out near the same, and oftentimes less. They are making a livable wage. They are also paid overtime. If a guy is working 60 hours per week on Tier 2, he is clearing almost $60,000 per year. I know some people with degrees in salaried positions that work the same kind of hours for less money.

THIS!

This is what the majority of the workers on strike probably do not realize. Im sorry, if you dont have an education, you arent getting 50k+ anywhere else. With every single kid going to college now, things are different. Its hard to fight for a huge pay raise with little to back it up. When I say little, I mean education and the lack of understanding to the job that you hired in to.

I have done my best to stay out of this debate....

While I understand that it would suck to be a Tier 2 worker, working next to a Tier 1 who makes more money.

Not being a Tier 1 or 2 worker, this is how I see things and others have mentioned a few of the same points.

When the Tier 2 worker took the job, they were never told/promised that they will ever be able to make the same wage as the Tier 1 worker.

AUTOMATION - Companies have invested large amounts of money, so that its not necessary to have highly skilled workers. The Tier 2 work environment is way different than what it was during the Tier 1 days.

Most Tier 2 workers have it made in the shade. Automation has made even the toughest of jobs so easy that almost anyone can do the work.

So if the UAW (Useless And Worthless) is going to force a significant wage increase, then guess where that cost is going to end up. More than likely passed onto the customer. What happens if sales go down. How many co workers could loose a job? Is it ok, as long as its not you?

I will say that I can't blame the Tier 2 workers for fighting for more money. Who of us wouldn't take a nice fat raise....
    You are actually incorrect. The union has been promising the tier wage was temporary since 07. So all these people were told change is coming in all of the orientations. But why wouldnt the uaw say that? They need members to keep them alive.

You guys are missing the big picture with all of this. The strike isn't solely based on the wages that's only a small piece of the puzzle. My concern with this contract would've been $5.3 billion is being invested back into the company but where's it going? The health care co-op is also a huge deal. The UAW told them there would be no changes with it but couldn't explain it. Instead they pretty much said just that in the high light section of the contract. Wait the contract? The workers couldn't even get their hands on the actual contract to read it to see what they were actually voting for. Sure both tiers want a raise teir 2 wanting more than they deserve but the biggest issue is clarity. Are you going to vote yes to a contract that just might be the demise of your position for helping the contract get through? This was a good deal it just was never explained in clear terms. You never know that $5.3 billion dollar "investment" could force you to move 3 hrs from home to keep a job.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrainFearGone View Post
    You are actually incorrect. The union has been promising the tier wage was temporary since 07. So all these people were told change is coming in all of the orientations. But why wouldnt the uaw say that? They need members to keep them alive.
    The UNION does not own the company. Anyone who took the unions word as a promise is a FOOL.

For me, just another reason why there is no need for a middle man.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by StangRed91 View Post
    You guys are missing the big picture with all of this. The strike isn't solely based on the wages that's only a small piece of the puzzle. My concern with this contract would've been $5.3 billion is being invested back into the company but where's it going? The health care co-op is also a huge deal. The UAW told them there would be no changes with it but couldn't explain it. Instead they pretty much said just that in the high light section of the contract. Wait the contract? The workers couldn't even get their hands on the actual contract to read it to see what they were actually voting for. Sure both tiers want a raise teir 2 wanting more than they deserve but the biggest issue is clarity. Are you going to vote yes to a contract that just might be the demise of your position for helping the contract get through? This was a good deal it just was never explained in clear terms. You never know that $5.3 billion dollar "investment" could force you to move 3 hrs from home to keep a job.
    If it was my company and because of the UNION. I would invest the 5.3 billion dollars out of the states.

There are so many labor laws and regulations that there is no need for the unions anymore. There are plenty of companies with no unions. They simply are not needed.

The UAW causes problems between the workers and the company!!

I get my raises based off of my performance, and that is the only way it should be.

If I got a raise no matter what, because it was in a contract. Why would I even care to work any harder.
    Last edited by Jasper302; 10-07-2015 at 06:07 AM.

There are so many labor laws and regulations that there is no need for the unions anymore. There are plenty of companies with no unions. They simply are not needed.

The UAW causes problems between the workers and the company!!

I get my raises based off of my performance, and that is the only way it should be.

If I got a raise no matter what, because it was in a contract. Why would I even care to work any harder.
    Really? Unions aren't needed? I disagree. There are plenty of times in my field that the union is needed to protect us from being abused, or protecting our pay.

I find it amazing that people on here continue to bitch that UAW workers shouldn't make this much, they are unskilled, people with degrees make less, etc. Once again, it sounds jealousy to me. Instead of people complaining how much someone else makes, and saying that they should make less, maybe you shold be complaining that other fields should make more? Just like Jasper said, he gets his raises based off his performance. So if a UAW worker makes more than you (nt you Jasper, but you as in a general person) with a college degree, maybe your should have better performance or negotiate better pay.

This is why the average U.S. household pay has dropped - collectively people want other brought down them them or below them, instead of trying to raise themselves above others. The middle class that was based largely off manufacturing, has gone away. Here is an opportunity to bring the working, middle class back, but yet no one wants to.

Thread Information