Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help for a Co-Worker's Son

Default Need help for a Co-Worker's Son

He is hellbent on buying an 2001 Audi A6 with a 4.2l V-8 with over 200,000 miles on it. The pictures make it look like a clean car, however nobody in their family is mechanically inclined, it needs to go to the shop for everything, including oil changes. He just graduated from high school and has to get a new vehicle becuase he got stuck on a Jeep Cherokee that he had to have with 200,000 miles on it that his parents have paid almost 3 times as much as it is worth in repairs in the last 2 years because he is trying to keep it on the road. I don't want them to get stuck with lots of money in repairs again. I know Audi's are solid vehicles but at 200,000 miles I know it will need maitnence and up keep and I don't want to see the parents sinking so much money into to something again. I have even tried talking to their son about the cost of an Audi and how simple repairs cost a lot more since there are few import mechanics up her that know what they are doing with them. Seller doesn't list the VIN in the ad and said he would text it to him but hasn't yet. It is a 3 and a half hour drive one way for them.

Please help me convince them (him) not to do it. He has $3500 for a car, there is a lot of nice vehicles up here for that price but he won't listen. Really the parents should put their foot down since they are fronting the bill for it but I can't tell them that. Also they just put a new Transfer case in the jeep for him last month but it is broken down again becuase the front axle is fried now. He "claims" he doesn't go mudding at all with the jeep.

to change the timing chains (or fix the timing chain guide) you have to pull the entire motor, which was a issue with the V8.

There is absolutely nothing cheap to replace on an Audi, and every one I have ever dealt with has sensors going bad that ALWAYS need to be reprogrammed by a dealer. My girlfriend wanted a Q7 and I absolutely refused because of the nightmare Audis are.

theres a reason that those cars sell for pennies on the dollar used

4.2 with 200k is gonna need a motor, unless the car is free or darn close id run away

take a look at these pics of the timing chain
    https://www.google.com/search?q=4.2+...ml%3B902%3B600

heres a video of the install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr64zoBTAQ
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

You're looking at over 1k in parts for timing/cooling system stuff when it does fail... Not if... But WHEN... And I would guess... SOON... Very soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    You're looking at over 1k in parts for timing/cooling system stuff when it does fail... Not if... But WHEN... And I would guess... SOON... Very soon...
    That is what I was trying to point out, hopefully the parents man up and stop it before it gets out of hand. I told them it is okay to tell their kids no once in while. Even with other parts on the car, injectors, piston rings etc... They do wear out and fail, not becuase it was it is a bad vehicle or faulty part but things just wear out, there is nothing you can do about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
    There is absolutely nothing cheap to replace on an Audi, and every one I have ever dealt with has sensors going bad that ALWAYS need to be reprogrammed by a dealer. My girlfriend wanted a Q7 and I absolutely refused because of the nightmare Audis are.
    I replaced timing chain, tensioner, pulley, valve, and every gasket pertaining to the job as well as odd and end seals and a rear coolant flange for like 400 shipped to my door from ECS tuning.

Not to mention they are insanely easy to work on.

The 4cyl and V6 models anyway. Can't speak for the 8. You could always go to ECS tuning and put in the model and look for common parts such as gaskets and timing chains to get a general idea of what the repairs cost.

I paid 1g for my 98, spent 400 in parts for the motor and then bought a trans filter/seal and some ATF for another 40 or so dollars and had a great running car. Quiet, smooth, etc. I sold it for 3500 after getting 9 months of driving out of it.

It was a stout car all around and sold me on Audi. I now drive a B8 Audi A4 and couldn't be happier. Recently fixed an oil leak for my B8 which included oil filter seal, dipstick seal, timing cover gasket, crank seal and a couple of other misc parts for 35 shipped to my door. Coolant that spilled was $20 at my local dealer.

Job was easy as cake - getting the car into service position takes about 15 minutes. Aside from that, the only problem I have had is the PCV valve went bad. I got one on ebay for like $50 and it was cake to replace. 35k miles and about 2 years and I have only had about $80 in repairs. Change the oil with euro blend every 10k.

Forum Member

If he won't listen to reason, this'll be a great life lesson for him. I was the same way, stubborn and did what I wanted. When I lost $8k on a Bronco I just had to have and restored (half assedly by the way) and then couldn't sell it, I learned something

Huge difference between the 4 and 8 labor and part wise
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    Huge difference between the 4 and 8 labor and part wise
    lol aftermarket cam tensioner is 400 dollars.

Tell him to get the 4 cylinder or nothing at all.

EDIT: Oh, and you need one for each head.

Thread Information