Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: UAW contract negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    Everyone is rich with credit.
    And bankrupt too . Many people that file for bankruptcy turn into repeat offenders. High off the hog, slum it up for 5, rinse and repeat. I've seen plenty do it in my line of work.
    '16 Fiesta ST

The way I see is if you want top pay you have to put the time in. The wages proposed were great especially since I came in with people who didn't even graduate. One guy even had the balls to talk shit to me about going to college because we had the same job until I told him it was a stepping stone with my foot in the door of a good company with chances of moving up after graduation. Chrysler just needs to re-energize the contract in clearer terms and it'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    And bankrupt too . Many people that file for bankruptcy turn into repeat offenders. High off the hog, slum it up for 5, rinse and repeat. I've seen plenty do it in my line of work.
    I think those statements describe my neighborhood..

So it looks like a strike at 11:59 pm Wednesday? They are going to lose a net of about $500-800 per week because they weren't happy with getting an extra $10,000 per year? I hope that works out for them. Math obviously not a factor.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

they wont lose that much, the union pays them Strike pay.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

So I am not up on my labor/ union laws. What happens with the "right to work" people decided not to be be part of the union? Are they allowed to go to work? My wife (at the Ford prototype plant) was told in case of a strike just to work from home and not to come in at all. Would the right to work people be forced not to work and not get the union "strike pay"?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/06/uaw-s...ke-notice.html

The United Auto Workers union sent a memo to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Tuesday notifying the auto company it will go on strike.

"In accordance with the parties' September 30, 2015 Extension Agreement, this letter shall serve as formal notice provided by the International Union, UAW and its respective Local Unions, which are signatories to one or more National and Local Collective Bargaining Agreements with FCA US LLC, of the Union's termination of the aforementioned agreements, to be effective at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, October 7, 2015," the letter said.

A worker installs tires on a Jeep Wrangler at the Chrysler Toledo North Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio.
    US auto sales surge to highest since July 2005

US watchdog: Fiat Chrysler under-reported deaths

Fiat later confirmed it had received the notice. "The Company continues to work with the UAW in a constructive manner to reach a new agreement," it said in a statement.
    The notice was sent five days after the UAW rejected a four-year contract deal with the automaker.
    The proposed deal would have narrowed, but not closed, a pay gap between first-tier workers who currently make about $28 per hour and second-tier workers who now top out at around $19 per hour.
    Fiat Chrysler has the highest share, among top automakers, of second-tier workers, 45 percent of its production workforce, and therefore has lower labor costs.
    —Reuters contributed to this report.
    '00 Camaro
    PBMF > *

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnCobra View Post
    So I am not up on my labor/ union laws. What happens with the "right to work" people decided not to be be part of the union? Are they allowed to go to work? My wife (at the Ford prototype plant) was told in case of a strike just to work from home and not to come in at all. Would the right to work people be forced not to work and not get the union "strike pay"?
    I sure as hell wouldnt want be be heading in to work through the picket line.....

Quote Originally Posted by LTLHOMER View Post
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/06/uaw-s...ke-notice.html

The United Auto Workers union sent a memo to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Tuesday notifying the auto company it will go on strike.

"In accordance with the parties' September 30, 2015 Extension Agreement, this letter shall serve as formal notice provided by the International Union, UAW and its respective Local Unions, which are signatories to one or more National and Local Collective Bargaining Agreements with FCA US LLC, of the Union's termination of the aforementioned agreements, to be effective at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, October 7, 2015," the letter said.

A worker installs tires on a Jeep Wrangler at the Chrysler Toledo North Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio.
    US auto sales surge to highest since July 2005

US watchdog: Fiat Chrysler under-reported deaths

Fiat later confirmed it had received the notice. "The Company continues to work with the UAW in a constructive manner to reach a new agreement," it said in a statement.
    The notice was sent five days after the UAW rejected a four-year contract deal with the automaker.
    The proposed deal would have narrowed, but not closed, a pay gap between first-tier workers who currently make about $28 per hour and second-tier workers who now top out at around $19 per hour.
    Fiat Chrysler has the highest share, among top automakers, of second-tier workers, 45 percent of its production workforce, and therefore has lower labor costs.
    —Reuters contributed to this report.

So 19/hr doesnt seem too bad, all things considered. If you area Tier 2 worker, can you move to Tier 1 after so much time on the job? If so, that seems to be a good start.

The MF'er about it is, that there are a TON of people who would leave their current *job* (maybe paying close to Tier 2 pay) just to move into a *career* at the same pay scale they are already making. IMO a strike at this day/age seems a bit over the top. There are plenty of unemployed people who would gladly walk in and do some of these jobs for what they strikers are currently displease with. That alone should be enough to take what the companies have offered and work from there for the next negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by StangRed91 View Post
    I'd say no or not at least till the time is put in to get that pay. I also believe that with this job should come opportunity to at least buy the product you build and maybe buy a house one day.
    I'm sure those putting rivets on Boeing jets feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This contract was actually very good to all employees but the unknown issues of job security and the very vague language for the CO-OP insurance where it's death.
    The sad reality is no one has job security, and it's not reasonable to expect a company to make a promise that market conditions may prevent it from keeping.
    The same goes with public sector workers. Notice that it's not uncommon for teachers in districts with forecasted enrollment declines to receive a layoff notice over the summer. Often these teachers won't know until the very last minute if they even have a job in the fall. How shitty is that?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I sure as hell wouldnt want be be heading in to work through the picket line.....

I remember coming home from spending a weekend on the lake one sunday night on 16 mile..... got to the top of the hill after van dyke (west bound) and all I saw was thousands and thousands of strikers had filled the streets... Hundreds of buses were unloading on mound, strikers were all carrying bats pipes and strike signs dressed for war at the Detroit News plant. ..... scared the living shit out of me... had my wife & babies in the car and no where to turn..... had no choice but to drive through them very slowly... rolled down my windows and made eye contact.... pumped my fist a few times and shit my pants. Ill never forget that..... I thought we were going to get a beating.... those teamsters were really pissed off and pumped up.

Thread Information