Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: UAW contract negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    And that's exactly what I thought was going on. The experience/seniority argument would only make sense for the first few years. Beyond that it's irrelevant as these aren't (I'm referring to assembly line jobs .. I don't know how technical some of the other positions are) jobs that require twenty or thirty years to learn.

Person 1 - $15 / hour
    Person 2- $25 / hour

Both doing the same job .. Wouldn't it be more fair for each of them to make $20/hour?

I suspect the real ass fucking though isn't in the $/hour it's in the benefits and lack thereof.
    It boggles my mind what some people get paid to do. Not saying that anyone deserves less or more. With that being said, if I hired in at $XX.XX with no promise of pay raise, I wouldn't be super upset if they kept denying me Tier 1 pay. I get that they do the same job for different amounts, seems unfair but they knew what they were getting into when hired. Its like buying a house. You buy when the market is up and pay more then the market drops and now you want the bank to adjust your mortgage to the same rate as the neighbor who bought his house for 1/2 price.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    i think your forgetting that there is a line of people that would do it for $15....
    This is true

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    It boggles my mind what some people get paid to do. Not saying that anyone deserves less or more. With that being said, if I hired in at $XX.XX with no promise of pay raise, I wouldn't be super upset if they kept denying me Tier 1 pay. I get that they do the same job for different amounts, seems unfair but they knew what they were getting into when hired. Its like buying a house. You buy when the market is up and pay more then the market drops and now you want the bank to adjust your mortgage to the same rate as the neighbor who bought his house for 1/2 price.

This is true
    People with absolutely no skills making $15 an hour is fair. I had two uncles that worked for Buick that didn't even finish the 9th grade making six figured with the OT. In this world, that type of stuff should not exist! Meanwhile my sister who has a MSW (masters in social work) making $50,000 a year dealing with rejects of society and working the same amount of hours... Yeah..I don't feel bad for the T2 people. They are getting paid what they are worth. If they want more money, go and get educated. It is not hard and money is there if you know where to look.
    Last edited by natzke4; 10-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    that line of people will have there fill after 1year and leave trust me. I don't see why it's acceptable for a person to make millions for a desk job with thousands of people under them to assist in their day to day functions, but when a blue collar worker want to make a fair days wage to provide for their family with out government assistance they get bashed for wanting to better them selves.
    I think far more people would stay than you think. The promise of matching pay after X amount of years to then jump from Tier 2 to Tier 1 would make much more sense. Do your time, prove yourself at work and now you are in the comfort zone of pay. (I'm not a white collar guy)

Would any of you guys go to your boss and say your paying me to much, here take this excess money back? I didn't think so. Shit I'll be ceo for a big three company for 100k a year does that mean I should get that job?
    Most of the Tier 2 workers were aware they were hiring in for a job that was lost by someone who was paid higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    This whole topic is a dead horse.
    For once we agree.....Both sides of this debate are steadfast in their beliefs.....

You know who has always been fucked for years and no one bats an eye about it, is the contract employees of the big 3. No representation, no signing bonuses or profit sharing..... It fucking sucks. I wish something could get organized for people like myself or the UAW would do something about it.... It would increase their declining membership!

And BTW I have worked a UAW skilled trades job.... I was a tier 2 skilled trades employee... It sucked making half and doing the same thing... LOL and sucked even more knowing that the unskilled tier 1 line workers made more than myself!
    Last edited by Droptoplt1ta; 10-02-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta View Post
    And BTW I have worked a UAW skilled trades job.... I was a tier 2 skilled trades employee... It sucked making half and doing the same thing... LOL and sucked even more knowing that the unskilled tier 1 line workers made more than myself!

No to be argumentative, but whom do you blame for that?

Quote Originally Posted by natzke4 View Post
    People with absolutely no skills making $15 an hour is fair. I had two uncles that worked for Buick that didn't even finish the 9th grade making six figured with the OT. In this world, that type of stuff should not exist! Meanwhile my sister who has a MSW (masters in social work) making $50,000 a year dealing with rejects of society and working the same amount of hours... Yeah..I don't feel bad for the T2 people. They are getting paid what they are worth. If they want more money, go and get educated. It is not hard and money is there if you know where to look.
    read what you wrote, seems that getting the education that you speak of doesn't pay off now does it.

I think some here are missing a point. An education is no guarantee that you're going to be making 6 figures per year, or even mid or high 5 figures at that. Many of us here have no education, but we make a good living because we have experience. Some here have a very wide plethora of skills, sans degree. Speaking as a manager, I'd hire the jack of all trades with no degree before I'd hire the one trick pony with a degree.
    Last edited by Tin; 10-02-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

whoa.....mr big shot Tin...manager...
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Would any of you guys go to your boss and say your paying me to much, here take this excess money back? I didn't think so. Shit I'll be ceo for a big three company for 100k a year does that mean I should get that job?
    Thats not the same situation. What the union is doing is like going to the boss and demanding more money even though you agreed to do a job for less.

Thread Information