Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UAW contract negotiations

MY goal is to be 70, and shot by a jealous husband....
    Last edited by hangemhigh; 10-02-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    MY goal is to 70, and shot by a jealous husband....
    Aren't you past that?
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    Lets say that it eliminated profit sharing and some other little items, like shared medical costs. $40,000 sounds like a good raise, but you're losing out on $7,000 per year of profit sharing, and your insurance premiums/out of pocket costs just increased $3,000 per year. It's net neutral in terms of actual value.
    But it is not neutral. It is a huge pay increase. This kind of mis-information is why the contract failed. It is a HUGE payday that they just walked away from.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Aren't you past that?
    Yeah, but I still talk a good game.....

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    Yeah, but I still talk a good game.....
    Or they think you're a closet millionaire
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Or they think you're a closet millionaire
    They'll be in for a rude awakening.....

I'm a tier 2 worker and it would've been hard to vote yes on this contract, luckily I didn't have to but I think that the union just did a poor job of informing everyone on the contract itself. The biggest issue wasn't the wages but the lack of communication for future investments for job security, the health co-op which nobody has the slightest clue to what's going to happen with that and just all around being left in the dark about things. There is no more meat on the bones for the UAW to chew off for their workers they just need to sell this one better. Now for everyone crying they don't deserve a raise or the money they get paid put yourself in their shoes. I give up my life to work here pretty much since I work a terrible afternoons shift that goes 4-2:20am. I'm not complaining because I fortunate to have this position but I am also doing something about because come December I'll have my degree finished. However if you worked this job long enough you too would get sick of working next to someone making almost double your pay. Now do we deserve that pay? I'd say no or not at least till the time is put in to get that pay. I also believe that with this job should come opportunity to at least buy the product you build and maybe buy a house one day. These jobs power the local economies in our state and without them or the UAW Michigan wouldn't be what it is today. The wages were there but too much was left in the dark for this to pass.

At $25 an hour you will have to work a shit ton of ot to afford a $50k f150 which is the price tag on the last 10 trucks i looked at. Making $15 sn hour not gonna happen

A lot of good points were made in this thread. I'm a UAW worker for 29 years, 10 for a small stamping plant and 19 at Chrysler. I'll be the first to say that I'm not pro union or pro company because they both have their good and bad points. StangRed91 I agree with what you are saying about it not being explained to the membership properly. There was a lot left to interpretation and that won't sell a contract when there isn't much trust. The other side of the coin is the falsehood of entitlement in today's generation thinking they should make what the traditional workers do even though they knew they were never told they would when they were hired. FCA, Ford and GM still waste money but nothing like they did back in the day. This contract was actually very good to all employees but the unknown issues of job security and the very vague language for the CO-OP insurance where it's death. I think the UAW will have to go back to the membership with the same contract and explain it better and it'll pass.
    Mike
    86 Buick GN
    1988 Mustang 347 EFI
    Ice Nine Customs
    Grafik Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon64 View Post
    At $25 an hour you will have to work a shit ton of ot to afford a $50k f150 which is the price tag on the last 10 trucks i looked at. Making $15 sn hour not gonna happen
    Everyone is rich with credit.

Thread Information