Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR attempted suicide?

Default NASCAR attempted suicide?

Don't much care, I quit really following it years ago. But this new points system already has fans pitching a bitch.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/...ff-format.html

Talladega and Daytona should be better
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Doesn't bother me. In my opinion, you watch individual races. You don't watch a championship. Whatever makes an individual race better is a good thing.

Racing needs to evolve. The whole format of racing is based on an era where cars were piles of shit and there was an endurance factor to the race. Even if someone had a huge lead that car could break at any moment. Now every car in every professional series on the planet is capable of running flat out for the entire distance of the race and not break. Even 24 hour races have become sprints. The endurance factor of a 500 mile race is nil. Make it so there's an incentive to race every lap. Give drivers reasons to take chances. Do what is needed to make the race itself exciting. I'm not watching points, I'm watching races. Whatever points can do to make races better is good. When points make racing worse that's bad.

Points used to make racing worse in NASCAR. Consistency is fucking boring ass bull shit.
    -Brad
    1968 Ford Torino - DOHC 4.6, T-56, Project
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Forum Member

On the surface it seems to make the beginning and middle of the race more important than before. So instead of laying back and waiting, more points can be had going to the front early.

It should all be better. Extra wide tracks, all cars completely equal = boring. blah, blah, blah. Nascar has become what IROC was. You know what happened to IROC, right?
    Not a mustang!, 84 TransAm street car! 350 SBC on E85, Dart heads, T400, ford 9"

It died because one sponsor can't support an entire fleet of cars. Race scheduling among drivers from different series also kept getting increasingly more difficult.
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

Another thing to think about when they change point systems, why is there a point system in the first place?

The answer, they wanted big teams and drivers to do to small tracks and lesser paying races. Giving a season long prize was a way to do that. That still wasn't enough in many cases back in the day. Look at Wood Brothers, Pearson, Junior Johnson and many more that rarely or never tried to win championships. They cherry picked the big races and didn't care about points. Now, every big team shows up to every race. It didn't used to be about the points. It was about the races, it was about the thing you actually sit down and watch. The thing it should be about. The points changed to fix the adverse impact they had on the races.
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

I quit watching when they showed racing for 3-5 minutes then cut to commercial....... More commercial time than racing.

Also part of why they are doing this. You can do some commercial scheduling with it. They can go to commercial and not interrupt the race and have important things happen in the race during commercials.
    -Brad
    1998 BMW 540i Sport

it died when they stopped using "stock cars" for racing.... instead using cars that anyone could purchase... they might as well be driving go-karts.... everything is the same... just change the nose of the car and restrict horsepower of the faster cars... so you might as well race go carts at 5mph,,,,,
    motown muscle southern chapter "we find rust free material for the michigan masses"

08 Mustang GT broke but beautiful

99 saturn SL1 with the air box removed for POWER!!!!
    Ford Chrysler or GM it doesent matter to me as long as its domestic.

Thread Information