Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo V6 1991 Camaro Project

Default Turbo V6 1991 Camaro Project

Hey guys, I was on here a few months ago with my 1992 project and sort of forgot to check back in. Well, I have been very busy lately with my other project. As the title says, it is a 1991 Camaro RS 3.1l/700r4 car. Here is a little breakdown of what is planned/accomplished.

- Pull Engine / Trans
    - Cleanup/teardown engine
    - Re-gasket engine
    - Replace stock 700r4 with one from my buddy w/ vette servo, boost valves, intermediate valves.
    - Fabricate log-style headers
    - Install engine / trans
    - Mock up piping and intercooler
    - Other odds and ends

Everything is pretty straight-forward. This is a budget build, nothing spectacular. Just making the junk I have work a little better. I will update this as I go, thanks! Here are some pictures:
    Camaro Picture.jpg
    image_c9b6fe8ab88c14a6e6fcddf9ada2d51f26c33aea.jpeg

As of right now the engine and transmission are out. I am tearing down the engine and installing my Delta 260 cam and lifter set. After that, everything is going back together and I will start to work on the log headers.

Forum Member

if the engine runs as good as the body looks you've got a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvids View Post
    if the engine runs as good as the body looks you've got a winner.
    X2.....Sharp car.

Nice project! Doing an ebay turbo or something stock off of a production car?
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thanks guys! The engine ran fantastic before I pulled it. I have had the car for the last 2 years and never once had a problem with it. Pulled off the valve covers/intake and it looks great also. Just going to re-do the head gaskets for peace of mind. My dad and I did the bodywork and then painted it single stage. I really enjoy detailing and I always keep the car looking it's best.

Denny, it is an ebay gt3582r turbo. Probably going to be looking for a name brand this summer after I get everything dialed in and get comfortable with tuning. My buddy (another turbo v6 guy) is helping me tune the car and also give me advice. I am basically replicating his initial build. Now he has a 3.1l hybrid with a 3100 top end and some other goodies.

One of our long time members Jim (TTA) has a 91 Z28 with a 1989 Turbo Trans Am (3.8 Grand National) drivetrain swap that looks like the factory did it.
    Mike

I figure it is update time:

Screenshot_1.png

Car runs pretty good, very happy with it. Probably makes somewhere around 240-250 whp at 10 psi. Better than the factor rating of 140 at the crank.

Did the math and I only have $1216 in the whole setup with everything from the tuning equipment down the the air filter. Fabricated and tuned the car myself. The setup can be bolted onto a 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400, or even a 3500 engine if I wanted to. Still have to put the new rear end in, 98-02 front brakes, and some other odds and ends. 1,000 miles down on the new setup and not one hiccup.

Future goal would be somewhere in the 350-400 horsepower range. It is pretty achievable with a hybrid engine (3.1/3100 combo) or even a full 3500 swap.
    Last edited by C2YT; 07-12-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C2YT View Post
    even a 3500 engine if I wanted to.
    How did you craft the exhaust manifolds to accommodate the vast 60° generations? Any photos of those?

Nice work!
    Mike

I can get some pictures soon, it is a stock manifold on the drivers side with a log header on the passengers. The bolt holes are notched on the log header and can accommodate for the aluminum heads. As for the manifold I can switch it out for the stock fwd manifold (of course with a little modification, as I did not notch anything).

Thank you for the compliment, I have taken a lot of pride in doing it all myself. Anymore questions just ask, I love to share about the build.

Thread Information